5.9 swap question

-

'Bout Time!!

Reaction score
I tried searching for information with no luck. I am picking up a 95 360 this weekend. It was in a 5 speed truck. I am getting the wiring, computer, and all accessories. I am planning on putting it in my 74 Duster. I also picked up an early a518 tranny. I am planning on keeping the EFI. Do I need to do anything to make this work properly other then the wiring and getting the tranny to work. I thought I read somewhere about a balancing issue. Thanks for the help guys!

What motor was in front of the tranny. Does the torque converter have a big weight welded to it? if it does, you should be fine. if it doesnt, pick up an aftermarket flex plate for a 360 for that year. it will have a cut out that is ballanced for it. 360's were externally ballanced. So hang on to the 5spd flywheel. it will come in handy one day.

What motor was in front of the tranny. Does the torque converter have a big weight welded to it? if it does, you should be fine. if it doesnt, pick up an aftermarket flex plate for a 360 for that year. it will have a cut out that is ballanced for it. 360's were externally ballanced. So hang on to the 5spd flywheel. it will come in handy one day.

UH.......at least some magnums were balanced DIFFERENTLY than 360 LA engines

Can't use the aftermarket flexplate. Crank sensor reads off the flexplate. Magnum 518's have a notch cut in the bellhousing for the sensor to go through.

I have heard of people using the hall effect flying magnet sensors on the front of the crank to trigger the EFI (injectors/spark) anyone else heard this?

Grab a later 5.9 magnum flexplate that has the balance weight already installed. I believe they started in 97 or 98. My 98 model had the weighted flexplate. This will work with the crank trigger for your fuel injection.

If the torque converter in the 518 has a balance weight on it you'll need to grind it off to make it neutral balance. The la and magnum 360's are balanced differently. Also, if the 518 was behind an LA engine, the converter bolt holes won't be symmetrical and one will be slightly off from the other three. You'll just need to elongate the odd hole with a file to make it work.

You should be able to pick up a weighted magnum flexplate for under 40 bucks at a salvage yard. Look for the big weight. Here's a pic.

2516818112_a0c0a6729f.jpg

One more thing. If the trans isn't electronic, the shifter and kickdown hook up just like a standard 727. You'll just need a 12 volt switch to activate the overdrive.

Hope this helps.....

Thanks everyone, great info. I'm sure it's gonna help. Uop is the weight on the right side with the grn dot?

Great. UOP, your RX7 looks great, I bet that thing runs awesome. what does that cat weigh, 3000lbs?

You know I've never had it weighed, but sbc swapped rx7's typically run somewhere between 28-2900 lbs, so I imagine I'm somewhere close to that. I appreciate the compliment. :cheers:

-
Back