5.9 worth looking at ?????????? from local craigslist

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I have a early 1990's dodge 360 tbi motor that came out of a w250. It comes with all wirring from under the hood area. The truck only had 93k miles and ran great (i actually got to drive it). the frame was rusted so they pulled the motor. I bought it to put in my truck but sold truck. Good motor, no leaks or noises. $250
00S0S_bUhHuK9UO9v_600x450.jpg

I have a early 1990's dodge 360 tbi motor that came out of a w250. It comes with all wirring from under the hood area. The truck only had 93k miles and ran great (i actually got to drive it). the frame was rusted so they pulled the motor. I bought it to put in my truck but sold truck. Good motor, no leaks or noises. $250View attachment 1714932150
That is a pretty good deal there. I'd be all over it.

Nice... Cheap enough, still a decent price,for even a usable core..

If you do the Keg mod's, replace the cam, springs and timing set, match the ports on the heads and intake to the gaskets, reseal the entire motor, throw a set of Summit headers on it, and get the ECM reflashed with an SCT Tuner; you'll have a solid 12 second A-Body. I did this exact thing on mine, but it ended up having a bad ring pack on #1 with only 90 psi cranking compression. It was still a fast car. I later rebuilt it to 408".

If you do the Keg mod's, replace the cam, springs and timing set, match the ports on the heads and intake to the gaskets, reseal the entire motor, throw a set of Summit headers on it, and get the ECM reflashed with an SCT Tuner; you'll have a solid 12 second A-Body. I did this exact thing on mine, but it ended up having a bad ring pack on #1 with only 90 psi cranking compression. It was still a fast car. I later rebuilt it to 408".
The first setup,is a nice combination. Salute...

I believe this is a roller cam throttle body injected LA engine or at least that is implied by OP's description of early 90's W series truck, Magnums only came in Ram series trucks, not W series. If it is a TB roller LA, the kegger mods, heads and pcm f;ash dont apply here.

I believe this is a roller cam throttle body injected LA engine or at least that is implied by OP's description of early 90's W series truck, Magnums only came in Ram series trucks, not W series. If it is a TB roller LA, the kegger mods, heads and pcm f;ash dont apply here.
It's the magnum with kegger multi port the seller had the wrong info on craigslist

Last edited:
that makes it a much better deal. Check out our cams and heads, pcm flashes and fuel solutions. magnummopar. PM if you cant find us on the web.

Last edited:
I believe this is a roller cam throttle body injected LA engine or OP is wrong and its the first W truck I have seen in 20 years to have magnum in it. I am going to go with roller LA which will not have kegger, flashable pcm, 1.6 pedestal rockers, MPFI or Magnum heads. The short block will still work with magnum heads .
As stated before this is for sure a magnum and the seller either posted it wrong on craigslist or gave me the wrong motor I'll post pictures later the seller did have unknown year ramcharger in the garage stating he changed the chasse out on it so it's very possible he was either confused or sold me the wrong motor there was junk stacked everywhere took us 45 minutes to move junk just to get to the motor

Last edited:
thanks to the help of magnummopar I figure it's a 2000 + year due to the injector connectors
5.9.JPG
5.9 2.JPG

It's the magnum with kegger multi port the seller had the wrong info on craigslist
Serp belt shoulda been a tip-off to us, lol. '92/'93 W250s had Magnums- 5.2 in '2, both in '3.

Were the injector plugs really that different over the years? They all look the same to me. The CPS, IAT, Temp Sensor, CkPS, Coil plugs are very different.

Those are earlier injectors/connecters, and it has an EGR valve, which tells me its an earlier motor. I'm gonna guess it's like a pre-'96 motor. Just look for the block casting date on the side of the block.

Oh, and I just noticed the truck mount in the second pic. It's using the LA style mount, which tells me it was out of a '93 Ram. '93 was the first year for the 5.9 and the last year for the older body style Ram, that would've used the older LA style mounting ears on the block. '94 and later Rams used the 3 mounting pads in the middle of the block.

If this is indeed a 5.9, check the casting numbers on the side, or clean the area of the block right below the driver's side head.

Last edited:
I Haven't a clue on these but learning you guys are pretty sharp just took a quick look it's a 360 and a magnum bore is 4.0 and has 360 at the end of the casting number couldn't make out much more I'll have to get more involved tonight

Last edited:
now that I can see it, those are early injectors not late and dragbaron mentioned, its got an egr making seller correct, its a 93-95 OBD I 5.9 magnum. The late model post 99 injectors have round corners and harness connectors have small red saftey tabs on them.

I've got a 5.9 that the seller told me it was out of a '98 truck. How can I tell for sure what year this motor is? I've been searching for days on the Internet trying to decode the serial number on the block and can't find anything. I have discovered that there are different spark plug part numbers and there gapped different depending on the year also.

That's a heck of a deal there, as I paid 500 for a 96 and it's a fantastic motor even at it's approximate 90k.
There were still very obvious cross hatching in the bores and the lower bearings all looked like it had 100 miles on it.
Here it is as an LA style with EQ heads drilled for LA intakes, LA valve covers, timing cover and water pump.
Carbureted of course.
You can get 400hp out of these things with bolt ons and no machine work.

MagnumswapLA.jpg

From what I can see its no newer than 98, but would need to see connectors on throttle body and coil, if it has big coil plug its 98 and down and if it has large TPS & MAP plug on TB then it would be a 96-97. It has a very odd fuel cross over line which made me lean towards 96-97 but Chrysler often carried some extra parts to next year. I took some photos so you can figure it out exactly.
Coil on top is 92-98, coil on bottom is 99-03.
coilplugs.jpg

This is early TB 96-97 Ram, notice large round pins on MAP and TPS
TBsensorsEarly.jpg

This is later 98-03 all models, notice smaller plugs with flat pins.
TBsensorsLate.jpg

Chrysler did away with round pins when they went from 8V sensor power to 5V sensor power as less surface area was needed for lower volts. They went from 8V to 5V when they started using CCD Buss communications therefore, Rams in 96-97 had round pins but 96+ Grand Cherokee had CCD and flat pins and 97 Dakota has flat but 96 is round....go figure why Chrysler went broke? If it seems confusing, dont worry, its taken me 18 years and I still see new stuff all the time. We have lotts of info on whats what on our sites in FAQ section in case you get lost in the BS....almost forgot, 96-97 Rams have 2 coolant senders(1wire for dash and 2 wire for PCM) and a 2 wire oil pressure sender. :realcrazy:. Let me know if you figure it out or post a pic of intake by upper rad hose to see if it has 2 coolant sensors.

Last edited:
-
Back