5 on 4" Discs on a '65 Barracuda. Year/car?

-

Altamont

mopar freshman
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what year discs are on my Cuda.
I recently bought the car and I am a new Mopar man. I know they came stock with drums and that the hot setup are discs and spindles from a '75-'76
A-body... But those are 5 on 4 1/2" and the ones i have are 5 on 4".

Any ideas on what year/car they could be from? I want to buy a Wilwood front disc set-up and i dont know what year to order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zak

4-Piston Kelsey Hayes disk were optional on A-Bodies from 65-72. They were 5 on 4" small bolt patern. The caliper has a crossover tube.

Looks good man! Of course we can identify the discs for you, go for it!

(Dusts the cobwebs off that part of the memory chips) I believe that I scavenged my front discs and spindles off of a '72 Valiant of all things that I bought for $50. Best $50 I ever spent. Slant 6 car, thought it was the strangest thing in the world to find front discs on a Valiant. It was also baby bolt pattern. Worked out good for me as my 68 cuda accepted them nicely. Also had the 4 piston Kelsey calipers which is the only drawback. If you need parts for the calipers and you can't find them under a mopar application they are the same calipers used on I think 67 mustangs, could be 68 can't remember.

I just last night picked up for $50 a '71 Dart 4dr /6 car for parts and it has the small bolt pattern discs on it so redness you are right you never know were these thing will show up. I am picking up 8 cars total from this guy and can't wait so see what else is on these things.

Chuck

Hey Ken5124, Nice looking 65' got any more photos? toolmanmike

Altamont I read in the article that you are going to replace the rear axles and brakes. Are they the stock A-body axles and brakes? and if they are are you interested in selling them?

Chuck

Chuck

The 8 3/4" i used was from a later model wagon with old rusty 11" drums. I dont think there is much there for you. sorry.

zak

let me know what you guys think. I want to put a wilwood disc on the front. What should i do? If these are factory discs do I call this a 65 spindle?

Thanks for the help!

zak

65frontdiscs_01.jpg

65frontdiscs_02.jpg

There's nothing wrong, unless you're road racing or drag racing, with the Kelsey brakes and you can still get parts like pistons and pads for them.

Terry

They work great... but i already have wilwood discs on the back. I also want to put wheels on the car and there is nothing cool at that size.

Thanks all for your halp! Im sure I will have further questions on other topics.

zak

If you want to put Willwoods on the car get your hands on some drum brake spindles for the conversion and keep that Kelsey Hayes setup complete.

Chuck

demon seed said:
There's nothing wrong, unless you're road racing or drag racing, with the Kelsey brakes and you can still get parts like pistons and pads for them.

Terry

Well I always thought the bad thing about this was if one piston seized up or didn't move all that great that your pads would quickly start wearing very fast on the side that still moved easily. Trying to equalize the applied pressure from 4 different small pistons can never work as good as just having 1 large one. Plus there's 4 seals that can go bad instead of just 1. BTW those calipers are exactly like mine, came off of a 72 Valiant.

Also, see the little metal tabs that keep the pads held down??? I lost mine when I had everything apart and couldn't for the life of me find anywhere that had them for sale. Until I came across the fact that they were the same calipers as that found on 67 or 68 mustangs and I was instantly able to find them for sale. Once again the dreaded "no A-body parts syndrome". Mustangs, oh yeah we've got 16 billion of those, A-Body nope.

Gotto disagree to some extent redness, multi-piston calipers are used extensively in everything from high speed racers like formula one to jet airliners, it's all about surface area and therefore force trying to stop the disc from turning. I would agree that there can be a problem with the multi-piston units when one piston siezes in the bore which just means that every couple of years you have to remove the pistons and clean the bore and piston of rust and crap.
My biggest concern when I said that Kelsey's aren't the greatest for drag racing is I would prefer larger discs and calipers. Also the design of pistons on both sides of the disc trying to "squeeze" the disc to stop it turning is more efficient than first pushing on the side of the disc with a single piston and forcing it against a stationary pad. JMO

Terry

-
Back