5 on 4 drilled to 5 on 4 1/2.. can it be done?

-

dioismyhero

Reaction score
1972 dart swinger.... i have 5 on 4 bolt pattern hubs in the front and 8 3/4 rear.... i want to know if the hubs/ rear axles can be drilled to a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.. who has done this?

thanks

1972 dart swinger.... i have 5 on 4 bolt pattern hubs in the front and 8 3/4 rear.... i want to know if the hubs/ rear axles can be drilled to a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.. who has done this?

thanks

Yes, rear hubs and drums drilled out to 4 1/2. BUT you have to use 1/2" cap screws instead of pressed in lugs because the extra lug flange diameter does not leave enough meat on the axle flange if you drill it out to press in lug size.

Every new set of drum will need to be redrilled on that same new pattern BTW. AND you will be stuck forever buying oddball and expensive 66-72 10x1 3/4" small bolt pattern drums and brake shoes.

Attachments

• Copy of RRAAxleSeal8_21_09Lg10.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Copy of RRAAxleSeal8_21_09Md08.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 208
If you going to send your rear axles out to someone like Moser to get them redrilled and new studs screwed in your going to pay almost as much for the service, plus the shipping costs, as if you'd just bought new axles from them. They have a pretty good deal on stock type 8-3/4 axles with large bolt pattern.

I was looking into getting mine drilled, but just bought the new ones instead. I redrilled the drums myself.

Good luck whatever you do.

-
Back