5 speed swap in Dart.

-

darten1972

Reaction score
Hi all. I just posted a question regarding a gen III Hemi swap but before that happens I'm considering to get away from my A904 and go with a manual transmission. I'd like a clean install and need everything ie. pedals, bellhousing etc.... Can any of you possibly give me some direction on where to start looking for all associated parts to make this happen? I currently run a 8.75 Sure Grip with 3:23 and like to run 4:10 gears so the 5 speed would be a must. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course I'd like to pull this off as cost effective as possible. Thanks all. Mopar or No Car.

I used the kit from Hurst with a TKO 600. Since your going from an auto it would be easier than going from a 4 speed to a 5. Any 5 or 6 speed is going to require tunnel work unless you get a Passion 5 speed (typical wait is a few years once ordered, if they are taking any) or a SST kit, formerly Keisler, but they want $$$. Hurst was awesome to work with.

As per the rest of the spay part, pedals are a given but you may not have the choice to run a Zbar and you may have to go Hydro wiht the Gen III swap, s homework is requited there.

Gears, I have 3.91's and the TKO has a higher 1st gear so 3:23's would be good for me, so whatever trans you choose look at the ratios before you take the bungle to change out the rear.

I've had a theory for a "budget" setup and ideally I want to try and piece it together at the end of this year/beginning of next.

You take a chevy colorado MA5($300ish), mate it to an AX15/NV3500 dodge bellhousing(price unknown). The shifter is around the crossmember area, but the pre-fab 200r4 crossmember may entirely solve the issue or just require a simply notch/box job.($200) The clutch issue is currently unknown, actuation would likely use a dodge or chevy hydro unit?(again, unknown)

*IF* this could all mesh, the entire setup could be under $1500 in parts. The pontiac version of that trans has been used behind 400hp+ cars. And a few people have regularly sprayed a 100 to 125 shot kit on the 3500lb trucks while on slicks.

I've had a theory for a "budget" setup and ideally I want to try and piece it together at the end of this year/beginning of next.

You take a chevy colorado MA5($300ish), mate it to an AX15/NV3500 dodge bellhousing(price unknown). The shifter is around the crossmember area, but the pre-fab 200r4 crossmember may entirely solve the issue or just require a simply notch/box job.($200) The clutch issue is currently unknown, actuation would likely use a dodge or chevy hydro unit?(again, unknown)

*IF* this could all mesh, the entire setup could be under $1500 in parts. The pontiac version of that trans has been used behind 400hp+ cars. And a few people have regularly sprayed a 100 to 125 shot kit on the 3500lb trucks while on slicks.

Wow that's quite a bit of research. If I'd all work you'd certainly be on to something that's for sure. Keep me posted. Thanks again for your input.

My two beliefs I tossed around
A t56 swap (viper 6 speed)
Or a passon hemi overdrive 4 speed.

I did debate the gear vendors for a little bit as well.

When I debated the two I found that with the t56 it was almost the same price as swapping in the hemi overdrive.
Only thing I found is that with the gearing of the t56 I would rarely use 5th and 6th. I could counter act by putting a different gear ratio in the diff but then I would rarely use 1 and 2.

I opted for the hemi 4 speed overdrive from passon. I now run 4.30 gears but can cruise in 4th like I have 3.55. I had all the parts for the 4 speed already. Just had to get an 18 spline clutch. I put a hydraulic throw out bearing in as well.

I played over here for awhile when deciding. Just had to be realistic

www.reillymotorsports.com/speed-tire-rpm-calculator.html

-
Back