5 x 4 1/2 pattern on 67 barracuda

-

ratvon

Reaction score
Looking for information on why a 67 318
Car would have the big bolt pattern?
So I'm getting ready to do a disc brake conversion on a 67 cuda and it has the big bolt pattern drums on the front. Are these things worth saving? Do I still change the upper a arm? Why the big pattern, and the big question who makes the best conversion without junk Chinese parts?, if there is one. LOL

Pure conjecture here, especially without a pic, but my guess is they were swapped on from a B or E body. Just like the disc brake spindles can be swapped from certain year B & Es, so can the drum spindle. Chances are a PO had a buddy who upgraded to discs on their ride, and he took the opportunity to grab some bbc brakes for free and ditch his 9" drums in the process. If this is the case, you've got big ball joint upper A arms (or the BJ adapter) already, which makes the conversion to late model A or F/M/J discs all the easier. Try Dr. Diff for your upgrade kit.
Is the rear 4.5" bolt circle, too?

2nd on Dr Diff.

I don't think they ever had 5x4.5 drums on any year A-Body. I thought even after 73, 4 wheel drum cars were 5x4.

Had to have been done in the 70s or 80s , I bought the car in like 88 and sold it and know for a fact nothing was changed on it since then

-
Back