500 hp from a 69 440?

-

Badart

Reaction score
I eventually plan on running a rb in the dart and want to start collecting parts for the build. I already have a complete 73 440 from a chrysler, but I have the chance to buy a complete basket case 69 440 for cheap. My question is what are the differences other than compression and a steel crank? I know that on my 73 engine I will most likely just use the block and I am thinking about setting it aside.

Would I be able to use the heads and pistons from the 69 to achieve a goal 500 hp?

It's cheaper to buy a set of Eldelbrock 84 cc heads to get to your goal of 500 hp or a set of stealth heads from 440 source.

The '69 heads are most likely 906 castings with 2.08 intake and 1.74 exhaust valves. They do not have hardened seats. They are very similar to the 73 heads as they both are open chamber.Not the greatest/easiest way to get to 500hp. I would just use the 73 heads (346 castings probably, but it doesn't matter what #, they all flow about the same)and install 2.14/1.88 valves with hardened seats. It would be great if you yourself could use the MP porting templates( cheap, like $20) to port them.That's a big improvement. Then get some KB or Speed-Pro Hyper pistons.

I eventually plan on running a rb in the dart and want to start collecting parts for the build. I already have a complete 73 440 from a chrysler, but I have the chance to buy a complete basket case 69 440 for cheap. My question is what are the differences other than compression and a steel crank? I know that on my 73 engine I will most likely just use the block and I am thinking about setting it aside.

Would I be able to use the heads and pistons from the 69 to achieve a goal 500 hp?

As was said above, check to see if the valve seats are allready hardened and definetely go with the pocket porting and a good set of springs and valves. I'm not sure that I would upsize the valves but if ya gotto replace them anyway. The old pistons are just that and wouldn't even consider them. Look for a set of 10 to 1 / 10.5 to 1 for pump fuel and you'll probably have to have the deck cut to get the pistons to zero deck to slightly protruding if you use pistons with valve reliefs. With the proper carb, intake, cam and exhaust 500HP is easy as long as it's done right. Talk to BJR Racing, he's on here, and a lot closer to you than I am. Here's a good writeup that compares all the B/BB heads.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/index.html

Terry

Buy a set of Edlebrock RPM heads. I used a set on my 69 block and I have 500.9 HP on the dyno with 535 ft. lbs. torque. The heads do flow very nice out of the box.

IMG_6371.jpg

-
Back