500 hp Small Blocks vs $$$$$$

-

75Sport

Grandpa
Reaction score
I just finished reading this issue of Mopar Muscle and can't help but wonder about all the small blocks being built and what it cost versus the horsepower and torque achieved. They've been building a 427ci stroker using a R3 block and all the "best" parts and spent a bunch to end up with a 500 hp engine. Indy Cylinder Head has a two page ad in the same issue offering several smaller stroker engines putting out more hp and torque for far less $. In the same issue is the recap of the Mopar engine builders results and nearly all of these "lesser" small blocks achieved more hp and torque than the 427. Now I know that some of the engine guys on this site would point out that the cam was wrong or the heads were wrong etc etc and they would be correct. My point is the magazine had Hughes and Shady Dell both involved in the build and I know that individually either company would have made more hp and torque had they been contracted to build the entire engine themselves instead of just furnishing components. Please tell me this isn't proof that engine building isn't always the sum of the whole. That is to say it's great to design an engine but if you have a specific goal that already been achieved by others I think it's kind of foolish to spend more to gain far less. All your thoughts? Sport

When I first built my W5 engine about 20 years ago I had to go through a lot of trial and error. There just wasn't anyone running those engines at the local strips, too expensive. So I learned a lot. It's all about matching the components to make an engine where they all fit and work together instead of against each other.

My thoughts are someone had this engine in mind before they built it and the parts are not matched, thus it's a turd for what it is.

GJ. Your 363 is a prime example of perfectly matched parts. And your tutorial on small block oiling tips has been invaluable to all of us. Thanks!

I'm not sure about the article. I can't find it online so maybe it's brand new. But... When a single builder is "in charge" of a build they have a certain path they follow in everything. It's far easier to get power when "the party" is hosted in one place. Ryan does some excellent work and has way exceeded those figures before. Hughes has too. Indy... I wouldn't trust indy to sell a 5 horse Briggs and Stratton that actually made 5 horsepower. I'm sure they get some stuff out of the shop done right and making what was claimed. But none I've ever had experience with (granted, limited exposure but read enough and you'll find "isolated incedents" are not really that isolated). There are plenty if ways to make power. Magazine builds are sponsor showcases first and foremost, entertaining second, informative third. You start combiing "donated" sponsor parts and strategic partnered dynos and you get some weird takes on reality. If they used a new block, they spent a big chunk on the block that some might say they didn't need to for that horsepower level. but they may have planned more for this engine's future that made the expense needed. Or someone gave it to them...lol.

-
Back