509 purple shaft...???

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
Has anyone out there run the 509 shaft from MP in a 318 with big heads? what were the results? What stall did you need, and was it a good street cam? A friend from speed merchant's told me that it's great on the street, with a 2200-2500 stall, and I had been told other wise, that it was a bit radical for a 318 daily driver... So please help!! How did it work for you? I could not ask for a better format to find out what really happens with different combo's, this websight is a goldmine for guys like me! :newb: :newb:

I will be interested in the response. I have parts for a stock bore 318
with mildly ported Magnum heads and a Air Gap intake. I have a Comp Cams
#20-222-3 262-270 ([email protected]) .492-.501 lift with 1.6 rockers.
I will put it in a 66 Dart with a 833 4-spd. and a 3.43-8-3/4 rear. It is a temporary engine (just for fun) while I rebuild my stock HP-273

until someone else reply i think a 318 if it has stock compresion wont like it since i think that cam will like more compresion about 9.5:1 compresion would probalby be minimum but the other guys with alot more experience will probably tell you that i am wrong ;)
i do think that that is enough stall for just daily driving and some fun but there will be alot more performance found with more stall than you listed...
just my 2cents...
and the more experiensed guys will probably want more info about car weight and gearratio and other componetns in the engine

My 318 has 10.25:1 kb's and 340 x heads lightly ported and milled. I have an unreal 5.83 spool in it, which is going in a box as soon as my buddy can do the 3.70's for me that he has. car is 2850 lb.s with 31" mickey's on a four link ford 9" setup. Does wheelies! want to drive my car, like alot, so some changes are in order. There are pic's in the photo garage... take a look! Oh, yeah, it has a 10" 3000 stall right now. Thanks!!

I think it is to radical of a cam for a 318 even with the big heads. You might should go with the Purple shaft 274 and it would keep your torque up so don't forget about the torque. Torque is important as well as horsepower. If you do go with the 509 I would suggest going with a 2800 stall or maybe 3000 but no more than 3000. It will get the rpms up more for the cam to "come in".

So, maybe since this thing is fresh, I should get the four inch crank kit and do it now, since it would not need new millwork or bearings, 390 ci would see this cam like a 274 in a 318, by my math. would not seem so radical. since it is a good cam, why replace it? but then, I have kb's and a new forged crank, too, so why replace them? It would be more cost effective to just swap the cam, but I sorta want a streetable monster! Time, money, and realistic expectations... but I want to do it myself!! I don't want a crate, I know I can do this!

hey, I have a weiand tunnel ram, too. I already have the 509 in it, I bought an unfinished project that had a few mismatch parts, you could say, but fundamentally speaking it's all great stuff. I have very specific goals, though, and one of them is to drive my car alot! I want a fearsome street machine that rips off the line, but rolls at 2500 on the freeway, I can't do a 3000 stall for a car that will be driven on the street 4 or 5 days a week. that is not a very street friendly setup at low rpm. Although I've considered a 4"crank kit, I realize that a simple cam swap would be the most cost effective solution to my situation. Jim at racer brown talked with me about the whole picture and recommended a 220 or a 230. He is a nice guy, very smart and down to earth. I hope to be able to achieve good results while I drive it, doing one change at a time... Why have a gts you can't drive all the time? life is too short not to love every trip I take to the store for the rest of mine, I tell ya! Picking up the kids from school will be an event they will remeber, I bet! LOL! Thank you for your advice, I had not looked at engle, I will check them out tonight.

Here is my set up. 30 over 340 with stock x heads. M-1 single plane, purple shaft 509, march under drive pulleys, jacobs wires and coil, headman headers, custom built 650 double pumper, automatic with a 3000 stall converter. turning 489 case with 4:10 gear and mt sportman pro 29 15'50's The thing I bought for the car was a be cool radiator. Keeps it cool wether I'm town driving or round robin racing at the track. When everyone else is trying to cool down the cars mine is running getting it up to temp. LOL The best the car ever ran was 12:56 1/4 mile @ 106 mph that was driving to the track which is about 50 mins from with half tank of gas.

Also I forgot that this motor has been together since 94 and never been taken apart. My next one will be a stroker. Nothing runs like a mopar!!!

My Soninlaw and I just tore a 318 down due to a bottom end NOISE! I suspect it had a 509 cam in it! That is what I was told before by the previous owner!The engine had a set of ported and polished X heads,.40 over bore with flat top pistons,a 3000 stahl converter.Car has ladder bar rear and 12.5" wide drag radials.We put a set of 4.88 gears in the car because it had trouble turning the tires over with the 3.55 gears. After the gear change it really came to life out of the HOLE!Really sounded and felt good until we put the mufflers and tailpipes on the car then you could hear a slight bottom end NOISE! So we decided to pull it out knowing it was going to go at any time!We are building a 416 stroker 340 for it now.The cam that came out of the 318 had # 211 240 marked on the front and purple markings between the front two lobe areas.I have not been able to determine for sure what it is. I would like to know because it sounded and felt really good. What do you guys think would be a good cam to go in the 416 stroker.We are going to reuse the ported and polished X heads and the LD4B intake that is matched to the heads.

Your LD4B will choke it off as it is only a 318 intake to start with........U are far better off with an LD340 or performer RPM........Kim........

I appreciate that information,I happen to have one hanging on the wall and will take it to be machined for the heads.

Thanks

BBobby

-
Back