50's hot rod: column & shifter suggestions (non a-body content)

-

junkyardhero

Reaction score
i'm about to jump into another build which is going to be a 50's hotrod type build. something pre-fins so like a plaza, cranbrook, coronet, etc. it'll be V8 and automatic-- so there's a little A-body in there.

wanted to see what the thoughts of the collective were on set ups... column shifter, floor shifter, key in column, gotta have tilt, etc. what do you like and why? is there anything that you think is a deal breaker?

fwiw, it'll be a bench car, and more than likely the column will be a ididit or flaming river not some factory piece scabbed in.

Well, then that trashes my opinions and ideas. LOL

I've just always ted seein a cool OLD hot rod or rat rod and walkin around to see the interior and there's a WAY too pretty and WAY too modern steering column. Now, if it's a REAL nice hot rod style car with a real badass interior, then the modern column is certainly a better match. So I reckon it all depends on how nice you're going to go with it. More toward a true 50s hot rod tribute and not real "nicey nice", then I say restore an original 40s or 50s steering column and put one of these on it with a hose clamp. Now that's real 50s badassary.

OLD SCHOOL

But that's just this old peon's opinion.

I've just always ted seein a cool OLD hot rod or rat rod and walkin around to see the interior and there's a WAY too pretty and WAY too modern steering column. Now, if it's a REAL nice hot rod style car with a real badass interior, then the modern column is certainly a better match. So I reckon it all depends on how nice you're going to go with it. More toward a true 50s hot rod tribute and not real "nicey nice", then I say restore an original 40s or 50s steering column and put one of these on it with a hose clamp. Now that's real 50s badassary.

OLD SCHOOL

But that's just this old peon's opinion.
i feel ya there, i always like the old columns and thin as spaghetti wide as your shoulders steering wheels. but a front clip may preclude that look in this instance.

i'm also not building it for myself and more as a spec piece and trying cast the widest net of appeal so to speak. while i like the look of a goose neck shifter on the floor and bench seat, the choice of transmission may dictate a column shifter...

all i know it that i don't want it to look like a 90's coddington/foose monochromatic billet frenched shaved 20" wheels on bags run of the mill piece.

all i know it that i don't want it to look like a 90's coddington/foose monochromatic billet frenched shaved 20" wheels on bags run of the mill piece.
Yeah, that was kinda where I was goin. LOL

Gotta agree with Rob. I would match the column and steering wheel to the rest of the car. If you went crazy fancy and modern on the interior, then use a fancy Ididit column. Otherwise make them match the rest / theme of the car.

not a 50s build but mine is a floor shift with tilt.

00o0o_bcpI7gSeSZxz_0fu0bC_1200x900.jpg

Only way to keep it looking clean is a push button transmission

Only way to keep it looking clean is a push button transmission
i was mulling this around in my noggin.

somewhere in the cobweb depths of my addled brain i seem to remember seeing a push button "shift box" that was mounted to the dash of something. clearly it was aftermarket and 60's and i want to say it was Art Carr, but my google-fu turned up nothing. so it's either a different company or i'm conflating images here.

I used a shortened Chrysler column, keeping it all Mopar...
I used A body buckets and built risers to get the height I wanted.
True hot rods have 3 pedals:)

View attachment 1716065918
i love it. and i whole-heartedly agree on three pedals doth make a hot rod. unfortunately for this particular build that's not in the overall scheme.

but, i'm sure we'd all like to see more pics of this beast!

360 727 8 3/4

very sharp! i like it. great choice on the wheel/tire combo.

that's kind of the vibe i'm going for. the next hurdle is whether to use the 340 i've got or go full modern with a G3 set up.

Might or might not be what you are looking for, but I have a complete column from a 2002 Sebring Limited convertible (no shifter) and another column from a 1999 Durango (column shifter). Both are available for a very reasonable price and delivery to Spring Fling could be done.

Might or might not be what you are looking for, but I have a complete column from a 2002 Sebring Limited convertible (no shifter) and another column from a 1999 Durango (column shifter). Both are available for a very reasonable price and delivery to Spring Fling could be done.
thanks jim, i'll mos def keep it in mind!

-
Back