518 swap

-

oley340

Reaction score
Does anybody know if i swap in a 518 to my 416 ci duster will it loose around a second in the quarter .I have a 727 in now that went 11.42 i'm looking for better use on the highway but i don't want to give up a second. any advise. thanks

Some folks perpetuate inflated garbage E.T. loss estimates with these transmissions.

Because of the way they are efficiently designed, Your not going to loose much.

Maybe 1-3 tenths.

Torque converter selection plays a BIG role as well, like it does any other transmission.

Last edited:
Some folks perpetuate inflated garbage E.T. loss estimates with these transmissions.

Because of the way they are efficiently designed, Your not going to loose much.

Maybe 1-3 tenths.

Torque converter selection plays a BIG role as well, like it does any other transmission.
Thank you very much thought i might have to hook up the nitrous

Thank you very much thought i might have to hook up the nitrous

Hell no, I have the a-500 in my car and I can't tell any difference between it and the 904 I had previously, they share the same OD unit as the 518.. It's very 'free' feeling. These transmissions would have to be a complete hog to bog down a fast car a full second. The rotating mass for the OD in them isn't that heavy. I know, because I build mine personally!

Enjoy 4th gear!

Hell no, I have the a-500 in my car and I can't tell any difference between it and the 904 I had previously, they share the same OD unit as the 518.. It's very 'free' feeling. These transmissions would have to be a complete hog to bog down a fast car a full second. The rotating mass for the OD in them isn't that heavy. I know, because I build mine personally!

Enjoy 4th gear!
thank you very much for the input

You didn't say what power level you are at, but if you are NA, and If you are currently running the 2.45/1.45/1.00 ratios, a swap to the A-500 which IIRC can be had with the 2.74/1.54/1.00 gearset, then I bet you go faster! I seem to remember just a swap from 727 to 904 is worth a tenth or two. The gear ratio swap might subtract a tad more.The extra pounds of the O/D, hardly counts.
Enjoy the new freedom,don't look back.

-
Back