528 cam, other options?

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
Ive got a brand new 528 cam, not installed yet. Is there any other company that makes a comparable cam in hydraulic? I've got 1.6 rockers as well, so that'll factor in lift wise too. Maybe something just a little smaller and more modern grind. Going into a 360 with Eq heads,Comp beehive springs, Edelbrock Performer intake. Car is a 67 Valiant, 727, 3.91, 8.75 rear.

The .528 is a great, medium duty solid. It's not that large and makes real power. In terms of a hydraulic "equal" I don;t think there is one. The Lunati VooDoos make decent vacuum given thier size, but they'll need a dual valve spring which means mods to the heads that require the heads be removed and taken apart. The Comp XE line has something a little smaller in the XE268, which would I think be a great match, and runs a single spring that is a drop in with the non-rotating exh valve retainers. But while it will make good vacuum it won't make the power of the .528. The next step up in the Comps need the dual springs, and I think they would lose some low end in order to get the top end. The .528's just that good at it's job. Just make sure you degree it - MP's quality has been in the toilet for years.

Edit - Sorry - missed the EQ heads and Magnum type springs. The Hughes 1110 springs should work on them, and will be stable with the .538. I don't know if they'll work with a 1.6 rocker and the XE or Voodoo stuff. That may take some homework on the part of your head guy to get aspring that works with the pressures they need. Modern needs more spring, and higher rocker ratio needs more spring.

I was hoping to stick with my beehives, but it seems the 528 with the 1.6's is a bit too much for them

.......The 528 is a great cam, I've run hydraulic lifters on them for years....Don't forget that u will loose as much lift as ur lash is....I believe .028 thou...........kim,,,............

With the pushrod angle and the lash you will be close to .510 lift so I think you're on the boarder of too much given Fentmax's talking about valve spring binding. I think you should go a little smaller if you're running the 1.6s. The Comp Magnum 270S will be around .460 at the valve and works with that spring. The Magnum 282S will be around .485 but you need more spring presure for it. I think the 270S would be a good torquey addition to it and work with what you have.

With the pushrod angle and the lash you will be close to .510 lift so I think you're on the boarder of too much given Fentmax's talking about valve spring binding. I think you should go a little smaller if you're running the 1.6s. The Comp Magnum 270S will be around .460 at the valve and works with that spring. The Magnum 282S will be around .485 but you need more spring presure for it. I think the 270S would be a good torquey addition to it and work with what you have.

Well Im not completely opposed to switching springs. Springs are a lot cheaper than buying a new cam. Im wanting to squeeze as much out of this motor as possible with my setup. So if getting new springs is needed, so be it. Guess I could just sell the Beehives.

.......The 528 is a great cam, I've run hydraulic lifters on them for years....Don't forget that u will loose as much lift as ur lash is....I believe .028 thou...........kim,,,............

Kim, Ive been told to do the same thing with hydraulic lifters. So I assume that eliminates the need to adjust valve lash constantly?

Well Im not completely opposed to switching springs. Springs are a lot cheaper than buying a new cam. Im wanting to squeeze as much out of this motor as possible with my setup. So if getting new springs is needed, so be it. Guess I could just sell the Beehives.

I'm not sure it's that easy. New springs may require different spring pockets and re-engineering things. Not impossible - but may not be slam dunk for the price of the springs.

I saw this somewhere before in the threads here...I think you have to run a couple thousandths lash with this method to not beat up the acceleration ramps on the lobe, but if you have good components you don't have to "adjust valve lash constantly" anyway. I was under this misconception many years ago as well-and it was probably true with chevies since they'd pull their studs out, or if you have loose adjusters. But if you buy good quality parts, you shouldn't have to adjust your lash more than every 5k miles after your initial break in and resetting with normal driving. I'm pretty sure there are veteran racers on here who only check their lash once or twice a season unless their times/ETs indicate something's amiss.

I'm not sure it's that easy. New springs may require different spring pockets and re-engineering things. Not impossible - but may not be slam dunk for the price of the springs.

I know in the thread I posted, he said he had the spring seats machined. Hopefully theres ampule room.

I love the 528. Ran one in a 360 for years. Lots of torque. Pulls all the way to 6000+. Not a good idea to turn external balance engines to high rpm's. Keep it under 6000. Will want to pull through 6000. Tough on the rotating assembly because of the counter balance on both ends of the crank.

I love the 528. Ran one in a 360 for years. Lots of torque. Pulls all the way to 6000+. Not a good idea to turn external balance engines to high rpm's. Keep it under 6000. Will want to pull through 6000. Tough on the rotating assembly because of the counter balance on both ends of the crank.

damn, thats a bummer.

It's hard on parts (especially bearings) if the bottom end isn't properly balanced, which can be done with externally balanced engines...and internal balanced engines are just as susceptible to damage if parts are just thrown together and not properly balanced. Otherwise, if it were true, I'd have blown up at least three 302s in my Mustang...they saw north of 6k on numerous occasions.

-
Back