540 form a 440??

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to 540CI from stroking a 440CI rb block.
I think it uses big block chevy rods, custom pistion, but what about the crank?
Has anyone tryed this?

You need a 4.5" stroke and a 4.25" bore or the other way around.

To get that big of a bore you'll need a mega block.

fastbackcuda said:
You need a 4.5" stroke and a 4.25" bore or the other way around.

To get that big of a bore you'll need a mega block.

Nah you can use a stock block.

To get a 540" from a 440", you will need a 4.5" stroke crank and 4.375" bore. It can DEFINITELY be done to a stock block, as I have done it. The pan rails need to be notched for rod clearance and the camshaft can not have a higher lift than .590" or the lobes will contact the rods!!!

My engine had a .555" roller cam and propelled the Cuda to a best of 9.69 in the 1/4 on 100LL avgas. The Cuda was 3600#'s, full interior, leaf springs and a snubber. The 540" motor will make GOBS of torque.

If you would like to see what my engine had in it, the guy I sold it to is selling it on Moparts and you can read the description. He never used it and it is in the exact condition I sold it to him.

ABout halfway down the page...username: Kingy

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...&Old=1year&Main=805496&Search=true#Post845424

Your right if you go with a 4.5" stroke.

If you build it with a a 4.25" stroke and a 4.5" bore you'll need a mega block.

fastbackcuda said:
Your right if you go with a 4.5" stroke.

If you build it with a a 4.25" stroke and a 4.5" bore you'll need a mega block.

You are absolutely correct, but why would you want to? I would rather save some money and build a stock block (granted you are not planning on making more power than it can handle). Anyway, I was not trying to be rude, especially not on my first post....and thanks for the welcome!

No problem.

It doesnt make sense to me to build 540 cubes and not use them. Unless you want 550 ft lds of torque at 2500 rpms

all those cubes could make some serious power at a low rpm. 8)

Ok you make a good argument, but keep in mind my 540 made 700hp at the flywheel and about 680 ft.lbs. of torque. That would be more than enough to get an A-body really moving!

I guess it all comes down to application. If you were building a "Mild Street" 540 ( :?: :shock: Oximoron ) the stock block with the 4.5 stroke would probably the "economical" ( :?: again ) way to go :) Then if you really liked it and wanted to go crazy, then add the Mega block, twin turbos,........... :D

HawaiiDuster said:
I guess it all comes down to application........ Then if you really liked it and wanted to go crazy, then add the Mega block, twin turbos,........... :D

NOW your talking my language!!! 8)

my first stroker motor was a 4.5 stroke 4.350 bore motor for 535 inchs, only a little overbore away from 540. I used both a .590 DC cam and an R286 .750 Superstock roller in that motor, and it cleared the sixpack rods OK. It just wouldn't rev much, as the ported 906 heads gave up at 5700 with the .590, and 6200 with the SS roller. It did make some torque, though!! Best time with the .590 was 10.29 at 133 mph with a poor 60 foot. The roller got me down to the low 10.20s at 136 mph, and then the cracked crank let go!! This all in a 3380 lb package.

What's the biggest I can make a 400 with a stoker crank? I know close to 500ci is pretty easy, but can I go bigger?
I picked up a bare block for $25.00 from a friend and want to build a stoker for my next motor after I get the chassis done.

for a low deck block, it is ok to go with a 4.25 strke crank with a 4.375 bore for a 511, as a few guys i know run them. The piston i would use would be a wiseco with a 1.300 pin hieght,(for stock type or indy type heads) a 6.535 manley Hbeam with ARP2000 bolts, and you can make lots of power, if you put good maincaps on it. They will handle 800+hp for a long time!!

-
Back