540 stroker who has done it?

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
Thinking about selling my 500 stroker kit and stepping up (need to rebuild short block after bad cylinder work and cracked webbing). This will be for big tire, very light street car. I have good middle of the road heads and like the idea of having a crank and rods I can use down the road in a aftermarket block and go to 572 I know I will need bigger heads.
If I can sell my kit the cost will be the same.
Looking to run pump gas
no power adders
use my solid roller lifters, big intake and big carb, side oiler ect...
Eric at muscle said 700+ torque and 650 Hp would be about what my heads would support.
My question is who has done this type build and how did it work?

So you're looking at putting a 4.5" stroke in a stock factory 440 block and you are expecting only 650HP? How "middle of the road" are those heads?

I would love to do a short deck but don't know if you can put the 4.5 in one. Plus my manifold is for the rb, and ported out MW intakes don't seem to sell well.
Would I be better with a low deck 500 and use my 4.15 crank and rebuy the manifold?
What is better for a 2700 lb big tire car? fast spinning low deck or more torque from the tall deck 540?

you can go with a low deck 500 or 512,sell the manifold,there lighter,better rod ratio.a 4.5 crank can go in a 400 but everyone says its to much weght for a stock block,but what about the builders that put 4.5 cranks in a 440,you can go with aluminum main caps that's cross bolted that pro grams sells

-
Back