Status
Not open for further replies.

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Contact seller
I am in need of a driveshaft that measures 49.27" for a 340 engine with a 4 speed A-833 trans and 8 3/4 rear. I got a driveshaft here now, but it is 5" too long measuring 54 1/2" from centerline to centerline. Willing to trade or sell this one to get the correct shaft. I have called around numerous shops this week and they want $180 for cutting and balancing. I would rather just offload this one for the correct one instead of hacking it. Any help would be appreciated. I am located in Central California. If willing to buy I am looking for $150 or best offer plus shipping to put towards a new one. I am not sure how much shipped as I am sure oversize charges are going to apply so be flexible. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 179
Holy cow! $180 to shorten and rebalance? Driveline Services in West Sacramenro just quoted me $70 to shorten the same exact 54" driveshaft for the 8 3/4 swap for my 340 4 speed duster. Haven't measured for the length, but they said down to 49" wouldn't be a problem.

I think they have a shop in Modesto as well...

I may have 1 in that range center to center of joint?? only problem mine is like 41/2 inches wide pm if I should still dig out was 500 for my last 1 now new motor rear end and tranny going in I got into deep for this economy and time of year pmif your interested

You need to shop around shouldnt be no more than 65-80 bucs..thats nuckin futs at 180bucs,does a reacharound and kiss come with it...

Yes, I thought so too. They said that it is because this shaft starts out skinny and then gets fatter so they would have to make the end yoke adapt. Sounds shady so I will shop around some more. Thank you!

OK after further research, this shaft is not going to work for me at all so no point in shortening it anymore. Here are the specs for it other than the lengths already mentioned above. Slip yoke is 2 1/8" and the U-joints are 7260. U-joints are used and need to be replaced. I need a shaft with the 2 5/8" yokes and 7290 U-joints. Up for sale at $130 or best offer plus the ride. Thanks!

Just an FYI, you can get a 7260/7290 combo U joint to fit the rear yoke if that's your issue.

If the slip yoke on that shaft fits your trans, then it will work with the correct U joint out back.

180 to cut and balance, wow. I would think half that.

I just had a 54.5" driveshaft shortened down to 49.25" for my Duster at Drive Line Service in West Sacramento. Final price was $102, and that included new u-joints. Price for shortening and balancing was $65.50.

The only thing that would make a driveshaft a problem to shorten is if it's tapered down at both ends. The one I supplied was a 3" driveshaft that was only tapered down on the axle end.

Drive Line Service
(800) 332-2800
704 Houston Street
West Sacramento 95691

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back