58 d100

-

shanemcd116

Reaction score
Currently restoring a 1958 dodge d100 . It has the 313 v8 in it . Originally had a 3 speed Column shifter . Previous owner attempted to convert it to a floor shift and screwed it all up . Wondering if anybody has any info on that transmission or know of another floor shift manual trans that’ll bolt up properly. I’ve read that a A-833 will but want to be sure before I go ahead

PHOTOS!! MUST HAVE!!! LOLOL

I love the look of those old girls. Actually if there is nothing wrong with the gearbox per se, no reasons you cannot put a floor shifter in. Can you do welding, fab work? There should be "lots" of room down there to do so

Sorry, don't know about 833. On the A bodies, at least some 3 speeds are different bolt pattern, and the center hole maybe too big or too small

I think it's a Borg Warner T85 or T89 3 spd. so an A833 will not bolt up to that bellhousing or any bellhousing made before 1964 when the A833 first came out.

I think it's a Borg Warner T85 or T89 3 spd. so an A833 will not bolt up to that bellhousing or any bellhousing made before 1964 when the A833 first came out.
.....,so then, in theory, a T10 or super T10 might bolt up?
Frankly, if that truck has the rear gear in it that I would expect, I'd look for a way to put a T5 overdrive five speed in it.

.....,so then, in theory, a T10 or super T10 might bolt up?
Frankly, if that truck has the rear gear in it that I would expect, I'd look for a way to put a T5 overdrive five speed in it.
I think so. Ford, Mopar and others may have used the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I have this T85 with an R11 overdrive out of a '59 Fairlane Galaxie and it actually has a 23-spline input. I think it was a few years after this that Mopar started using a 23-spline input.

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

I think it really depends on the bell housing bolt pattern. I'm not familiar with a 313 V-8 but the bellhousing pattern may be the same as the first gen Hemis.. There are adapter plates sold to mate the Hemis with newer transmissions. There are a few old school companies that make them. A phone call or email may set you up.

I think Allpar has a large chart that defines the bolt patterns for most of the Chrysler engines.

Honestly, because you are considering a different trans, I'd seriously look into an overdrive unit. Dakota or Jeep ax15?

PHOTOS!! MUST HAVE!!! LOLOL

I love the look of those old girls. Actually if there is nothing wrong with the gearbox per se, no reasons you cannot put a floor shifter in. Can you do welding, fab work? There should be "lots" of room down there to do so

Sorry, don't know about 833. On the A bodies, at least some 3 speeds are different bolt pattern, and the center hole maybe too big or too small
B60F5257-D9A2-496F-9B63-ABF4B01B8167.jpeg

If you want to keep that 3 spd manual, you may have to flip the 2nd 3rd trans shift lever 180° so that your 2nd 3rd H pattern linkage, floor shift works properly.

20230217_213645.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
-
Back