5x4" Hub Specs

-

jlhunsinger

Reaction score
In attempting to convert my '72 Swinger front 9" drums over to the Scarebird kit, I messed up and allowed an old shade-tree mechanic try to get the hub (un-swedged) from the drum. He beat the hell out of them with a 4lb hammer first, then tried hydraulic press and I'm pretty sure they're bent...and still not out of the drum.

I have a friend who runs a machine shop who said he'd build me new ones if I could spec them out and model in AutoCad. Do any of the more savvy members on here have advice on where I could find correct dimensional drawings for this part?

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern will be easy enough, I don't necessarily have to have them knurled if he wants to tack them on the back side for me. I have found a drawing that says the inner diameter of the "register" is 2.31 inches. Does there have to be a radius to the hub? If so how could I determine that? Does anyone have a picture of one that is intact?

I found these specs on the drums from RockAuto but can't find anything specifically for the hub anywhere. Any help is appreciated friends!
Drum Specs.jpg

Also, If we can successfully spec this part out and anyone wants some made, I'll see what sort of cost he will come up with. I know the RAM MAN wanted $125 each for the ones he had and I am willing to bet we can beat that.

My machinist said he'd make them out of 7075 t6 aluminum

I know these hubs are tough to bend. I pressed mine out. NO way I would use a aluminum hub. Just me.

Thank you for the feedback. I still haven't gotten them apart to inspect. It's on the list for tomorrow.

Can't recall if the 9" and 10" drum hubs are the same. I have the scarebird conversation on my son's 70 Valiant (318). Same thing happened to me with one of my drums, it got bent with a big hammer. I was able to source a new set and complete the install. I have a few hubs (from my 10" drum valiant) that I can lend you for the cause if needed. PM me if interested.

Much appreciate the offer. I was able to borrow a hole saw from a neighbor to remove the material holding the studs in. Got the hubs out finally and they're on the car now with calipers bolted up. To the naked eye they appear to be true still but we'll see.

Did you use an adjustable proportioning valve in your setup? I'm still trying to determine which one I need and what fittings/flare I'll need to install it.

If you do get your buddy to create some hubs, let us know.
I used an Allstar part number ALL48025 Proportioning valve for the rear drums. the funny thing is, when I was test driving to adjust the valve, I could not get the rears to lock up even before adjusting it. Not sure if it's doing anything, but since everything was working, I left it alone.
I got the Allstar on Amazon for 41 bucks. It came with the correct fittings; I did not have to re-engineer anything.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Thank you and I certainly will. Ordering the Proportioning valve now.

In regards to the hubs, if mine don't give me any problems I don't intend on having him make any new ones. If the need arises, get with me and I'll see about his prices. I know the RAM MAN had them for $125 each, not sure getting new ones machined would be cost effective unless we ran a batch of them.

-
Back