6.1 ecu wiring

-

blown71duster

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys that have running cars with the factory ecu .What did you use for the harness from the ecu going inside the car. I bought a used engine out of a 08 srt cherokee . The engine harness is all there ,just wondering how to get the rest of the harness, Did you have a complete harness to work with or is it bits and pieces. I have alldata here at the shop , but the wiring diagrams arent the best, maybe check into factory service manual? Looks like a lot of modules bused together inside the car definately want the ALDL connector for the info.

I haven't started wiring mine yet since I am waiting for the suspension to cone in. I did download the FSM for the 06 Lx cars since my engine came from a Magnum. The FSM had alot of very good wiring diagrams and explination of the systems. 5.7Dart has modified the facory harness and may be able to give you swome insight if you pm him.

I just wasnt sure what I could get by with as far as the body harness . Would any donor from 08 ngc ecu vehicle be made to work. Where did you get your FSM download from? Thanks

I had the full harness from the engine and the interior of the vehicle. Just made sure that all the wires that go from the ECU to the engine and tranny were kept. Also if you have AllData you should be able to see were the relays go unless you keep the original fuse box. It is a little intricate but can be done. If you have the wiring knowledge then it will be a plus.

Looks like I need to find a doner vehicle for the body harness, and dive into it. I know chrysler sometimes does strange things, like on the older jeep cherokees the tps and airbag/clockspring share the same inputs on the ecu. I guess you find out when you power everthing up and check datastream.

I found the manual on one of the LX sites. Don't remember which one now but I will check the computer at work tomorrow for it. I am pretty sure I saved it in my favorites. I did just pick up a engine bay harness and FCM for mine out of an 06 Charger. The wiring is the same in the LX cars. Not sure if the jeep is or not. I did not pick up an interior harnes as I do not plan on using anything other that the gas pedal wiring OBD2 port and very posibly the sentry key, all of which I can wire myself without buying a whoel harness. All the SRT's hav the sentry key in them so the only choice in using the stock computer is to incorperate a key a sensor or send it up to Michigan and have the security taken out of it. My biggest hurdle I havent made up my mind on yet is if I want to try running the NAG trans. I know in order to run it you need to have feeback from the wheel speed sensors through the ABS computer. 5.7Dart wound up making his own tone ring for the feedback but still doesn't know how well it is going to perform out on the road. What I am considering is using the Jeep rearend as it is almost the correct size to go under the cuda. It is just a tad shorter than the A body 8.75 but nothing a little minitub and the correct offset wheels wouldn't solve. Then the correct feedback could be provided for the trans to work.

So its possible to take out the security ,It did come with an ecu out of the jeep. Sounds like you have your hands full with that NAG tranny. I am going with a viper T56 ,will make things a little easier. What is the purpose of the FCM in your A-body, for data communication ?

http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/#nostaligia

Supposedly the only ones that can remove the anti theft. From what i have been told the guy that owns the place use to be a Chrysler engineer.
As for the FCM it indeed can be used for data communication. I want to be able to use factory diagnostic tools if necessary and the FCM is what stores fault codes and acts as a central gateway for all the other modules that may be used in a car to channel that info to the data link connector. It will also be able to control the cooling fans, ac and headlights if i want to take it that far. As for the NAG that is what is really holding up digging into the wiring. i need to make up my mind if I want to go with the hassle or just stick with the 904 I use to run in the car. If I decide to go with the 904 then I will send out the factory computer and have the trans and security flashed out of it. If iI keep the security in it it will make a nice little anti theft deal. keep the key in the module for when I want it and take it with me when i don't want the car to go anywhere. A sure way to keep my son form taking it out one night when my wife and I aren't home.

I can't find the link where I got the FSM from but PM me your email and I will see if it will email. It is a pretty large file though.

Here is a little blurb out of the FSM about it's operation.

The Diagnostic CAN-C bus is also capable of 500 Kbps communication, and is
sometimes informally referred to as the CAN-D system to differentiate it from the other high speed CAN-C bus. The
Diagnostic CAN-C is used exclusively for the transmission of diagnostic information between the Front Control Module/
Central GateWay (FCM or FCMCGW) and a diagnostic scan tool connected to the industry-standard 16-way
Data Link Connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel on the driver side of the vehicle.
The FCM is located on the Integrated Power Module (IPM), which is located in the engine compartment near the
battery. The central CAN gateway or hub module integral to the FCM is connected to all three CAN buses. This
gateway physically and electrically isolates the CAN buses from each other and coordinates the bi-directional transfer
of messages between them.
OPERATION
The Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus allows all electronic modules or nodes connected to the bus to share
information with each other. Regardless of whether a message originates from a module on the low speed CAN-B
bus or on the high speed CAN-C or CAN-D bus, the message structure and layout is similar, which allows the Front
Control Module/Central GateWay (FCM or FCMCGW) to process and transfer messages between the buses. The
FCM also stores a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for certain bus network faults.
All modules (also referred to as nodes) transmit and receive messages over one of these buses. Data exchange
between nodes is achieved by serial transmission of encoded data messages. Each node can both send and
receive serial data simultaneously. Bus messages are carried over the data bus in the form of Variable Pulse Width
Modulated (VPWM) signals which, when the high and low voltage pulses are strung together, form a message. Each
node uses arbitration to sort the message priority if two competing messages are attempting to be broadcast at the
same time.
The voltage network used to transmit messages requires biasing and termination. Each module on the bus network
provides its own biasing and termination. Each node terminates the bus through a terminating resistor and a terminating
capacitor. There are two types of nodes on the bus. The dominant node terminates the bus through a 1
KW resistor and a 3300 pF capacitor, typically resulting in about a 3300 ohm termination resistance. However, this
resistance value may vary somewhat by application. The FCM (or FCMCGW) is the only dominant node in this
network. A non-dominant (or recessive) node terminates the bus through an 11 KW resistor and a 330 pF capacitor,
typically resulting in about a 10800 ohm termination resistance.

I'm using an '05 Ram manual trans computer. The wiring connector from the engine (the orange one) needs to have one wire swapped over then just wire the relays, throttle pedal, data link, etc as if it were a 5.7. I plan to send the computer to BG Performance to flash the 6.1 calibration into it. All should be well and no CAN bus or FCM to mess with, although I will be using the PCI and SCI bus circuits. Just my .02

Thanks, I will try to use my 08 ecu because thats what I have already in hand, I would like to use the fcm to control the a/c and fan control because I plan on using a/c on my car ,but keep the 05 ecu in mind if that it doesnt work out.

hot wire of mena ar makes wire harness for your swap they have a jeep hemi in there shop ,a hemi power wagon 60 vintage . they done my 92 efi mag 318 into 64 valiant....all wires maked and right leight....hook up and go there phone #479-234-9115

-
Back