6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
[QUOTE="And oh by the way the factory bolts will not work going back into the oil pan. You need.5 shorter ones. Just more of those really cool tidbits that just keep getting in the way.

View attachment 1715499954

Oil pan stud kit? Are these bolts the same size as other pan bolts?

Mike
CichliDart
Bolts are same size and thread pitch just .5 shorter. Metric. I just took a sample of old bolt to hardware store found a nut that fit it to establish thread pitch as I am not always sure on metric! Once I found the correct nut I then went to corresponding size bolt bin and found one that was shorter than my sample. And I bought some super long ones to assist in the reassembly. I used the long ones as placeholders. By being super long I could insert them thru pan,gasket,tray,gasket and into block and let it hang. That allowed me to get the gaskets all lined up and a bolt in each hole prior to cinching up. That and some gasket stick em! Then I just started replacing long bolts for correct size one at a time. Full disclosure Best Neighbor Ever was called in for another set of hands! He loves Jack and Coke so I keep a bottle on the shelf for him. He is a true Mopar guy as well! Has a Demon too. We did it with engine hanging from chain fall, this increased the complexity ten fold. In a real shop I would have simply spun the motor upside down on the fancy engine stand and installed it all upside down easy easy!

Hey John just got finished reading your build. Its awesome and great job man, very impressed. I started a build on a 67 notchback Cuda, 2008 Ram 5.7, 10 years ago and also using a HDK and agree totally as he is great to deal with and a nicer guy you will never meet. Your build is giving me some incentive to get back to it. Life has got in the way as is the way with most people, health issues, a 66 Barracuda father son build build for my one son who got relocated to Alberta 6 years ago, that needed to be finished it for his wedding 98% done and a 55 Chevy truck build I was doing as well. All while my Cuda sat in waiting growing roots to the garage floor. Thank you for your detail of your build thread.

Hey John just got finished reading your build. Its awesome and great job man, very impressed. I started a build on a 67 notchback Cuda, 2008 Ram 5.7, 10 years ago and also using a HDK and agree totally as he is great to deal with and a nicer guy you will never meet. Your build is giving me some incentive to get back to it. Life has got in the way as is the way with most people, health issues, a 66 Barracuda father son build build for my one son who got relocated to Alberta 6 years ago, that needed to be finished it for his wedding 98% done and a 55 Chevy truck build I was doing as well. All while my Cuda sat in waiting growing roots to the garage floor. Thank you for your detail of your build thread.
Super thanks for the feedback CaCu! Notes like that keep me energized. I fully realize most on this forum are pretty savvy but you just never know when some aspiring new young gun may be reading and pick up a pointer or two. If all of us old codgers don’t share our knowledge how will the young ones learn? My Father and I talk on the phone every Sunday morning, and today oddly enough we were reminiscing about me hanging around the race shop as a young skinny kid who was always stealing beer! The deal was, I washed parts and fetched tools and beer. I was the shop elf. I would get punished if I handed one of the guys a unopened beer, think greasy hands old days! So I was allowed a sip of the beer as payment to open the beer for them and a delivery fee! I reckon the alcohol killed all the germs because we all lived! Heck I even drank water out of the garden hose!

So got shop cleaned up from weekend tornado session of fabrication. Not sure what catalyst was but drinks kept getting stronger and music louder. Next thing I knew a bunch of two stepping broke out. I think that is what makes a shop a shop! Great time! Pix of neighbors poison included. Never turn a guy loose with duct tape and a sharpie! I did however somehow start creating my electrical schematic amidst the debauchery! If ya can’t dance in your own shop what good is it!

B39E2D58-C723-4226-889B-BE5726A36B48.jpeg

EFAF30AD-3EDB-4C88-91B3-0CF993694691.jpeg

2078B624-E731-4610-BC5F-259B81961B1C.jpeg

So got shop cleaned up from weekend tornado session of fabrication. Not sure what catalyst was but drinks kept getting stronger and music louder. Next thing I knew a bunch of two stepping broke out. I think that is what makes a shop a shop! Great time! Pix of neighbors poison included. Never turn a guy loose with duct tape and a sharpie! I did however somehow start creating my electrical schematic amidst the debauchery! If ya can’t dance in your own shop what good is it!

View attachment 1715501840

View attachment 1715501841

View attachment 1715501842
You bet John my shop is my domain I can't dance but damn I can shuffle and mix a drink and crank up the stereo.
Life is no good without some fun and all the pain and money we put in our cars I plan on enjoying what we do the best I can. Cheers my friend...

So starting back on finished assembly, need to change over oil sump. The bolts are new fancy torque to yield so I purchased new ones rather than reuse them. I went with Milodon but fully recognize that many folks on here are not fans of them. All I know is I have used several Milodon pans and never had a problem. I took the pix of the packaging as it has the part numbers on it for the modern swap. Make no mistake getting that sorted out is a major pain. I think the knowledge has gotten better but I struggled getting good info. The long stud in the pix is the one you have to remove to attach the oil pickup in the new location. And oh by the way the factory bolts will not work going back into the oil pan. You need.5 shorter ones. Just more of those really cool tidbits that just keep getting in the way.

View attachment 1715499954

View attachment 1715499955

View attachment 1715499956
I know this is kind of late, but my son has these plastic bolt clips which are specially made to hold the gaskets and windage tray and oil pan. Thought I would post a picture ,in case anyone else is interested.

92629983_535384617164225_3563010040178671616_n.jpg

I know this is kind of late, but my son has these plastic bolt clips which are specially made to hold the gaskets and windage tray and oil pan. Thought I would post a picture ,in case anyone else is interested.

View attachment 1715503746
Dang FOG that is honking brilliant! But umm you know, a bit late! Hah! Wish I had those when I was assembling. Big hugs to you and yours!

So today I sorted out throttle linkage. I am not happy with it but it will suffice for now. I had to machine my own piece for the FAST throttle body out of brass. Note to self do not under any circumstances run lathe while drinking adult beverages! Ask me how I know? I somehow managed to thread my part incorrectly to 5 mm .80 thread pitch which forced me to then utilize Allan head bolt to pinch throttle wire and ensuing jam nuts. Butt ugly but effective! I will refine it later! I was pretty happy to step away from lathe with all my fingers intact. I only ran tool stand into chuck maybe once? Dang piece was really really small!

1CDC32CC-D633-4333-8B56-DF8B01B56281.jpeg

7737E20E-2871-4A93-91EE-63BDC8BF1F53.jpeg

6590BD8B-DA57-410C-BC5F-423E92B1E783.jpeg

Dang FOG that is honking brilliant! But umm you know, a bit late! Hah! Wish I had those when I was assembling. Big hugs to you and yours!
Sorry SLO I was talking to my son (mechanic ) about your build, told him the problem you had with the bolts and he told me what he uses. A day late and a dollar short...lol . Give Hemi a treat for me .

Then it was back to wiring this wench up. I am hesitant to post this but what the heck. If we can’t laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at! I was wiring up the MAT sensor and got ready to slide the shrink wrap up the hill and I looked down and noticed I had successfully wired the throttle cable into the sensor run. Arghh! Ya just can’t make this stuff up. Side cutters saved me and I started over. I would like to say it was an alcohol related incident but fact is I wasn’t drinking, yet.....

683A20EF-E100-4E30-A367-2A673DDF09EA.jpeg

So it is yet another cold windy day up here on the Tundra, I have already went out to shop and fired up the heat. Sitting here sipping green tea pondering next steps while shop warms up. I always back read a couple of the previous posts to make sure I am making some kind of both chronological and common sense. Dawned on me perhaps I should elaborate a bit on the topic of plug and play with regard to EFI systems choice. I went with Holley after much consideration. I felt then, and still do, they were the best supported system as I knew I was going to be in the weeds a bit. If I were doing a LS we would be done by now. However doing old Mopar blended with new there is just not a lot of support. Dodge has now come out with the crate program which makes the whole process much easier and pretty straight forward. When I started, that just was not an option. I got a donor drive train from a 2010. Knowing what I know now and with availability of crate that is the low cost option. But I digress, plug and play is the topic. So on one hand yes the ECU plugs into the factory wiring, however that is like trying ****** for first time. You are now addicted! You must now purchase a million subsequent modules and sensors as a result of the Holley components may or may not be compatible with whatever next step is. From oil sensors to O2 the list goes on and on. You need a coil pack, you need a BIM, you need a way to integrate to a dash, nope might as well buy the Holley version and simplify. I can go on and on. Sadly in my opinion Holley is still the best choice out there as Mopar is just not supported in after market like the LS platform. Do I have any regrets? No way! But if I was going to do this again and was starting now the landscape for support sure looks different today than it did a few short years ago. The guys on TV can do one in a week or less!

Happy Bunny day to all y’all! More electric schematic creation for me today. Electric is not really my strong suit so I need to create a good solid plan before starting to wire the car. I just can’t wing it in this arena like I can with the mechanical aspect. I have learned over the years a bit of preplanning really makes a difference between a cobbled up wiring job vs neat and tidy. I like neat and tidy. It is forcing me to look at how I integrate the Dakota Dash components to the Holley system. I picked up a nice sound system to integrate as well. I do like the purr of a V8 but I also like the twang of some Cody Jinks or Joe Bonamassa, toss in some Jimmy Page and I can drive for hours!

All right levity aside here is the play by play. So I tried to entice worlds best neighbor into coming over to assist with engine install but his wife shot him down. Not really sure why? Perhaps it has something to do with every time he comes over the music gets louder and drinks get stronger, then he goes home and pukes. No wonder she loves me! So doing it solo sucked, I had to ensure wiring was not pinched everything was clearing over and over. Translated run hoist, lay under car, run hoist, lay under car, run hoist, climb ladder peer down into engine bay, run hoist, you get the idea. 4 hours later, two tranny jacks, one porta power and an extra floor jack. Plus some sawz all and torch work, she is in. The alternator just would not clear. And I had predrilled a 2.5 inch hole in the fire wall for the Holley EFI wiring harness, make no mistake you need every bit of 2.5 inches. Standing in front of car the hole is drilled at 11 o clock just above the heads. Location was perfect. Do not deviate or you are screwed. I say this for my buddy in Carolina who is literally doing same thing with a 6.1 I thought I could wait him out and learn from his mistakes but no such luck. I plunged, making me the guineass Piguss. Latin for fool! He now benefits from my suffering. Enjoy the pictures, they are two years in the making.

2491AB43-4A79-4D2C-BE7B-56D1BF862007.jpeg

9202A178-9E18-4A4D-966D-EDAC0F57697F.jpeg

31AD4A68-6661-4F40-BEB1-86069F4F9A8E.jpeg

64596537-29D7-4916-BD92-3C979E190319.jpeg

970E8172-1A30-4D66-BC35-39F68E1E42CB.jpeg

43272553-0534-4BDB-AC99-B04DAED2FE63.jpeg

E6AED8A6-A6CD-46D5-91A9-A0B6A8E7F711.jpeg

9AC6D04E-695C-4394-A129-A04AE700826B.jpeg

42FE4CD7-BCED-4AA8-8503-F7C0580FC787.jpeg

B2B97888-93A4-46C9-B7CD-5EFBB298104B.jpeg

-
Back