6.1L Hemi with T56 build

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Looking for some help and narrow down info into one thread for myself.

I was going to install a 5.7L into my Duster but found a 6.1L for an amazing price.

I have just a few things I need info on.

Starter - T56 - I'm thinking mopar mini starter
Headers - 6.1L - TTI for AlterKtion
Wiring and PCM - Hotwire? Does anyone know if my 5.7L PCM can be flashed for the 6.1? Remember I don't need it to control the trans.

Any other info anyone want to pass over?

Thanks,

Riddler

I am using the Hotwire harness for my 6.1 and was told they use a 05 truck pcm and flash it to 6.1 specs. I bought mine new from them.

As far as starters go, I used the same early 90's truck starter I used on my 408. I didn't check the engagement like realwing, but I've not had a problem. That's with a Mopar aluminum flywheel and Lakewood bell housing. And headers I made. I think some people have had clearance issues with that starter and tti headers- not sure.

The 05 Ram 5.7 manual trans starter will tuck up to the block tighter than the other mini starters. It puts the solenoid on top of the starter instead of to the side. It will give you better header clearance but you will have to do some slight trimming to the block on a couple unnecessary bumps.

The 05 Ram 5.7 manual trans starter will tuck up to the block tighter than the other mini starters. It puts the solenoid on top of the starter instead of to the side. It will give you better header clearance but you will have to do some slight trimming to the block on a couple unnecessary bumps.

That starter is the same size as the 318/360/3.9 v6 starter and makes no difference. Maybe a tiny amount of clearance. One note of difference, the Ram starter uses a push lock connector for the solenoid while the small block magnum starter is just a stud and nut so no need for a special connector. I have both and bolted both of them up and both of them started my 5.7. I didn't use a t-56 but I did use the NV3500 with a flywheel and clutch for an 05 Ram 2500.

If you need a starter i have a used one that works fine (magnum small block) I'd sell for $45 (core charge basically). PM if interested.

That starter is the same size as the 318/360/3.9 v6 starter and makes no difference. Maybe a tiny amount of clearance. One note of difference, the Ram starter uses a push lock connector for the solenoid while the small block magnum starter is just a stud and nut so no need for a special connector. I have both and bolted both of them up and both of them started my 5.7. I didn't use a t-56 but I did use the NV3500 with a flywheel and clutch for an 05 Ram 2500.

If you need a starter i have a used one that works fine (magnum small block) I'd sell for $45 (core charge basically). PM if interested.

Makes a big difference if you are running the Jeep SRT manifolds. With the way the solenoid hangs slightly off to the side on the 318 ect starter they will not fit. If you want maximum clearance in that area having the solenoid directly on top is the way to go.

Makes a big difference if you are running the Jeep SRT manifolds. With the way the solenoid hangs slightly off to the side on the 318 ect starter they will not fit. If you want maximum clearance in that area having the solenoid directly on top is the way to go.

I believe you. I never spent any serious time checking clearance since I'll be building my own headers eventually. Though I did note that both of them worked to start the engine which was something I was unsure of before giving it a try.

-
Back