6.4 Head ???

-

onig

I love driving my BBD
Reaction score
So the new 2014 Ram trucks of 2500 and 3500 will have the option of a 6.4L Hemi.
Does anybody know anything about these heads, good, bad, in terms of performance. Any changes made to them?
Does anybody have a part # for these heads. I called a few dealers near me and they want the VIN, which I don't have any since none are on the lots.
If these heads are good, and inexpensive, I am thinking of getting a set for a 5.7.
Years ago the 6.1 heads were cheap to buy outright. Now they want a core charge as well.
Any info would be great, even some VIN's so my dealers can look them up.

Thanks
Onig

Not sure about these truck heads , but the apache heads in the 6.4 cars have huge valves and I have heard they don't work well with a 5.7 bore because of shrouding of the intake valve, not enough room to flow good.
I would contact someone like Dave from modern muscle , he could tell you the best head for your application.

To add to above:

I have read that the Apache heads require bore notches when installed on a 5.7 block due to valve size and location.

I also read that the Ram 6.4 uses the Eagle head. I'm not sure what other differences there are between the 2 6.4 versions.

A buddy and I discussed exactly what you're talking about - watching for 'new' head part numbers from Mopar and buying a set or two while the price is low with no core charge. Seems all the hemi heads started out that way, and then got more expensive with core charges within a year.

Let me know if you find a part number specific for the 6.4 truck (hopefully it's a 'new' part number and we can find some deals!).

If/when the 6.2 hellcat comes out, I'll definitely be looking for a set of those heads as well.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Definately things to consider.

What is the 6.2 hellcat?

Onig

I was under the impression the 6.2 was just a de-stroked 6.4 with a supercharger, so probably not much head change. Doesn't mean they won't have something new, just thinking they'll probably be reusing most parts as opposed to making a whole new engine again. I didn't think the 6.4 was necessarily different heads from the 6.1, but I haven't really looked into it either.

There was a head design change we have one here I will post up pics soon with our take on the new design

Mopar states you can't use the Apache head on 5.7 block (shroud's valves) they can only be used on a modified 6.1 block with the proper bore size and special piston's with the proper valve notches in them--Please correct me but that is straight from the source---Steve

Plus they have incredible flow right out of the box,Stock intake flow of 344 with no porting and that was from a article that Modern Mopar did the flow numbers for--Now that flowing some air for a stock head--Steve

Apaches have been in the 380's at .600 lift. With some CNC'ing of course. They blow the doors off of GM's best LS head.

I seem to remember reading that Chrysler essentially took one of the better designed, aftermarket ported 6.1 heads and designed the Apache ports from it. Dave from Modern Muscle did the testing / info for those articles we've read and has a few, good Mopar connections, so I would be inclined to go by his knowledge and experience of them. Whatcha got for us Dave???

Swifter, who is this "Mopar" source you speak of? Also, this thread seems to have been sidetracked to the Apache head whereas the OP was talking about the 6.4 TRUCK head. Although there's not enough information out on the truck engine, I would imagine the truck engine is a bit different than the 6.4 SRT engine, probably designed in one way or a few ways for more torque that a truck would require...

Mopar states you can't use the Apache head on 5.7 block (shroud's valves) they can only be used on a modified 6.1 block with the proper bore size and special piston's with the proper valve notches in them--Please correct me but that is straight from the source---Steve

-
Back