6-71 & Mechanical Fan, and other questions.

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
I remember seeing a picture of somebody's a-body that had a Roots Blower, Chrysler Radiator & a Mechanical fan. Please chime in, I'd like to know what you did to fit everything in like that (it was a tight fit, if i remember correctly)

I'm getting ready to put my wallet out of its misery and will be installing a Dyers Roots 6-71 setup on my '74 Duster later this month, and I'd like to do any possible core support mods/radiator relocation mods before I paint the car.

Currently, the car is completely assembled (waiting to be torn down) so now would be the time for me to get any measurements for modifications. (factory 318 A/C car, swapped to a 340 with A/C)

I'll be swapping the RV2 compressor for a York Compressor, since the blower & RV2 will both want to occupy the same space :D

Also, I have a Vacuum Reservoir Tank (about 2 gallons) that I salvaged from a 70's Volvo, can I use just a regular Brake Booster check valve to keep the tank from bleeding off stored vacuum (to run the A/C and Cruise Control)

Without moving the radiator location, a 2" gilmer belt and factory mech fan will fit if you measure carefully, it's close. Another gent on here used a 3" belt and a much thinner flex fan.
I doubt you'll need a vacuum can, I get more vacuum with the blower.

Attachments

• fan clearance.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 460
  • fan and belt.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 445
Much appreciated, that looks about the same depth/thickness as the Stainless fan I'm running.

I've got a 4-core C-body big block radiator in my '74 Duster, and have about 3/4" I could use to move the radiator (gap between the radiator & core support). If I move it, I might be able to keep my Shroud if I use a 2" belt.

3" would require me to remove the shroud and cut away part of the core support to relocate the radiator even further. I think, anyway. I won't really know until the 6-71 is sitting on top of the 340 and I've got a belt hanging from it. which is why I figured I'd ask. wouldn't want to order the 3" setup, only to find it wouldn't fit.

any updates?

Yeah. After months of life getting in the way, I'm finally getting somewhere.

Got most of the 340 together, and then set the intake/blower, valve covers, fan, etc on the engine temporarily so I could start mocking up the brackets to mount the accessories.

SANY0142.jpg

Ended up going with a Sanden SD709 A/C Compressor instead of the York compressor, didn't have enough space for the York. No new pics, but I have the brackets for the A/C Compressor finished and the rest of the accessories reuse the stock brackets.

Now I just have to order the engine paint (nobody stocks Hemi Orange, since it's not a chevy color :protest: ) and pull the accessories, valve covers, blower/intake, etc back off and finish prepping the block/heads/timing cover for paint. (also has new brass freeze plugs now). Then its time for the final assembly and I can move on to finishing up the rest of the car.

If all goes well (it never does...) I hope to have the car together and on the road again by spring.

why is it you arnt going with a electric fan

Because I don't trust an electric fan as the primary means of cooling my 340. Not a lack of airflow or anything, but the worry that it could fail (and I've had it happen, with new fans, on more than one occasion).

I do have an Auxiliary "Pushing" Electric Fan mounted in front of the Condenser on the car, in case things get iffy. But I prefer to keep a Mechanical Fan for the primary fan on this car. It's one of those things where once you've been bitten by something, you're leery of it for a long time.

74Dusted, great progress!!

Do you have a side view pic?

Not at the moment, I did have some, but they're gone. Long story short, I formatted the wrong hard drive in my computer and lost a bunch of stuff that wasn't backed up. :eek:ops: Lesson Learned, always make sure you've got the right drive selected, and the files are backed up too before you format.

thank for the update. keep us posted.. you have me interested..lol

No problem.

The motor is going in my '74 Duster. It's in the process of becoming a '71 340 Clone. Building it to be a nasty street car.

These pics are old, this was when I first got the blower, I just had to set it on the 340 that was in the car to see how everything fit up.

SANY0329.jpg

SANY0333.jpg

SANY0328.jpg

The ole girl used to look better, but I used her as a daily driver and never bothered to wash or wax it in the 6+ years I drove it. This time around it'll be still serving as a Summer Daily Driver, but I intend to keep it washed & waxed. And she'll be sporting a new paint job and 340 stripes this time. Rallye Red again, the original color was Frost Mint Green and it was Plum Crazy Purple when I bought it.

I want to say these pics were from 2007 or so? I think

S5000071.jpg

S5001041.jpg

And this is what she looked like when I last drove her, in 2011

SANY0103.jpg

awesome! blower looks rad! old school lookin car!

Old School was the plan from the beginning. My whole '74 project (even before I towed it home) was influenced by my Dad's '73 340 Duster, the Gold one. Which he ended up giving to me anyway. (Fun car to drive by the way :D ) I have fond memories of riding in that car as a kid (before he parked it for almost 2 decades :prayer: ) The '73 was the car that started my love for A-Bodies.

The '74 eventually turned into its own car/project once I got a taste of the modifying bug :D Drove it around as a stripeless 340 powered car for years and embarrassed a lot of people. I can't say it was a Sleeper, with a nasty 340, 2.5" Duals, Glasspacks & 340 Tips/Resonators it definitely made its presence known :D

Here is some pics of an Aussie Hardtop Valiant 360 with twin superchargers.

Attachments

• IMGP4179.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMGP4180.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 224
Here is some pics of an Aussie Hardtop Valiant 360 with twin superchargers.

That's what I did to my cousin's RX7 as well, Remote Mount Eatons.

I appreciate the brainstorming we've been doing, thanks for the help so far.

-
Back