/6 Challenger, Version 2.0

What would you do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
The reason there were slant six A body cars is so there could be special A body cars, you know the ones with good engines in them: 273-318-340-360-383. A transplanted 440 seems very special. Let the other guys keep driving their slants so you can be one of the guys with a good one:)

I am sure this response will piss some people off:)

I drove my 73 with slant power the first 25 years of it's life, don't know why I waited so long to drop in the 360. My dad bought the car from a lady when it was less than 1yr old. It was generously optioned with a/c, buckets,spacesaver, Goldduster package with full whl covers and tape stripes and canopy vinyl roof. It had the slant six/904 with manual drums. Typical chick car of the era. Who wants to drive a chick car? That's what Miata's are for.

I have seen maybe one slant six E-Body that I can remember, what a waste of a good body that was.

What is so special about a slanting six? Mine got about the same economy as a 318 2bbl car which would run circles around it. It was weak, noisey and really not that miserly to drive. Yeah, yeah, you can turbo charge it or hyper-pak it but it's still a loser compared to what you could do with a small block for less money. Amazingly, it was not an oil burner with over 160,000 miles on it, not many small blocks can claim that on original guides and seals, so it was the benchmark of durable, that's about it.

If you have no option tag or buildsheet then I say keep the 440 in it and enjoy it for what it is. But in my case I have the numbers matching drivetrain,fender tag(although real rusty) and 2 buildsheets and documentation from the original owner,so /6 is what im going with here.

convertible.jpg

The reason there were slant six A body cars is so there could be special A body cars, you know the ones with good engines in them: 273-318-340-360-383. A transplanted 440 seems very special. Let the other guys keep driving their slants so you can be one of the guys with a good one:icon_smi:

I have seen maybe one slant six E-Body that I can remember, what a waste of a good body that was.

You answer vexes me. I was not sure by first sentence if you understood my question, but the 2nd sentence makes me think so.
To clarify, I have a 1970 Challenger, that was originally a /6 car, but I lost the fender tag years ago. It currently is 44/727, and I am toying with going back to /6 auto, with modifications, so I can afford to drive and enjoy it more often.
In this, I would either remove the big block stuff, and go back to a slant 6, perhaps hyperpak, or perhaps turbo, both are within my abilities. Most are right that the /6 without the tag is less desireable, but this car has shaved marker lights, etc that make it not the right car for concourse direction. I would lean towards a hot /6 that I can drive ALOT, or the mild 440 that I can drive SOME, but summer, and "presumed" higher gas prices will curtail the enjoyment.

Not that I have anything against sixes but because it's originally a slant, very little you can do to this car would decrease its value.
Not totally true. I've seen a 70 Cuda with T-tops.GROSS
A 440 definitely increases pleasure. Pleasure is what it's all about, right.
IMHO don't go backwards.

Why on EARTH would someone in their right mind choose a /6 over a BB in an Ebody??!! As far as gas goes, that slanty isn't going to be all that economical either if you work the balls off it - especially w/ a turbo.

In all reality, how much do you plan to drive this car? Even if gas goes back to $4 a gallon - weekend driving really shouldn't put a huge dent in your pocket. If it'll be an every day driver, it'll get old fast - and you may deny it now, but every time you pull up to any car that even has average acceleration, you're going to wish you had the V8. And lastly - get used to people going: "oh - it's only a six?" every time someone takes interest in your car.

Other than that - whatever makes you happy is what I would go with.

so if its more about being able to enjoy enjoy the thing more often, why not sell the 440 and use that to buy a built smallblock, 340 would be sweet. why go back to 6? if you were looking to selling it, unless a collectors finding it(even then it wouldnt be numbers matching) some one wont turn their nose up at it cuz it has a nicer engine. its a muscle car! people get them cuz they wanna flex!

You answer vexes me. I was not sure by first sentence if you understood my question, but the 2nd sentence makes me think so.
To clarify, I have a 1970 Challenger, that was originally a /6 car, but I lost the fender tag years ago. It currently is 44/727, and I am toying with going back to /6 auto, with modifications, so I can afford to drive and enjoy it more often.
In this, I would either remove the big block stuff, and go back to a slant 6, perhaps hyperpak, or perhaps turbo, both are within my abilities. Most are right that the /6 without the tag is less desireable, but this car has shaved marker lights, etc that make it not the right car for concourse direction. I would lean towards a hot /6 that I can drive ALOT, or the mild 440 that I can drive SOME, but summer, and "presumed" higher gas prices will curtail the enjoyment.

Yeah, I got it, this is an A body site, wanted to make sure you got it:) E bodies are the cats *** though. Don't do anything stupid like dropping a slant six in it:munky2: A small block would be the best compromise if fuel consumption is a concern, something that is always on my mind since seeing $5.00/gl fuel. With our current administration in place it's looking like I will live to see one more Jimmy Carter Economy.

An acquantince who has had a 40 Ford since 1960 just yanked out his 429 and put in a 351 windsor and went from 9mpg to 15mpg. He drives the wheels off of it now.:cheers:

I almost did not drop my 3:55's in place this year because of that, but hey you gotta live a little bit too.

What is so special about a slanting six?

-I drove my 73 with slant power the first 25 years of it's life.

-I have seen maybe one slant six E-Body that I can remember.

- Amazingly, it was not an oil burner with over 160,000 miles on it, not many small blocks can claim that on original guides and seals, so it was the benchmark of durable.

You answered your own question. My slant is quiet, I can daily drive it, and average 19mpg in an a-body. Would I put a V8 in there? Yes, but probably a warmed over 318, but it's not worth my trouble to do that. :munky2:

You answered your own question. My slant is quiet, I can daily drive it, and average 19mpg in an a-body. Would I put a V8 in there? Yes, but probably a warmed over 318, but it's not worth my trouble to do that. :munky2:

Yeah, I wrestled with it for about 5yrs before actually making the swap. I had swapped to a super six intake, rejetted carb, played with the timing curve, car went much better, could almost catch a mini-van.

When I decided to do the swap I knew a 318 was a waste of time when a 360 could be done for about the same money(rebuild a junkyard piece).

With the station wagon two barrel on it and 2:76 gears it got maybe 16 compared to the 18 it got with the super six set up and out running mini-vans was no longer a problem:eek:ccasion:

Total cost of my swap was like $1,200. I think it was worth the trouble.

Stop kidding yourself and go get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out running mini-vans was no longer a problem:eek:ccasion:

Total cost of my swap was like $1,200. I think it was worth the trouble.

Stop kidding yourself and go get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:joker: I don't race, I cruise. The smoothness and longevity work for me ;)

There is a part of me that wants to 360 it, but then I'd be like everybody else.

I voted to go back to Slant 6 with Turbo. But those that know me on FABO know I am a Slant 6 only guy these days. Having said that I need to say this; You will need to switch it over to a Manual Tranny of some sort. 24 years or so ago I had a 1970 Challenger Convert. Root Beer Brown/White/White/Luggage Rack/AC with a Slant 6/3-Speed on the Floor/Manual Steering and Disc Brakes/Front Sway Bar/8-3/4 with 3:55 gears in her from the factory. Story was it was Special Ordered for some big wigs wife in Clearwater, FL and since I bought it from her there I believe it.... LOL ($1100.00). I drove it for about a year then somebody made me the offer I could not refuse! That car was a flat out kick in the butt to drive! It was VERY quick off the line, handled like it was on rails and would cruise the Interstate all day long at 75 MPH and get 25 MPG doin' it (City was 20 MPG)! One last thing though, it would NOT run on regular gas! Premium only or knock, knock, chatter all over the place.

Later,
Bruce B.

jester said:
You answered your own question. My slant is quiet, I can daily drive it, and average 19mpg in an a-body. Would I put a V8 in there? Yes, but probably a warmed over 318, but it's not worth my trouble to do that.
lol - I can say the same thing about my Mercury Mystique that has almost 200k miles on it, and is still my daily driver. Believe me, I get no satisfaction whatsoever in the fact that it economical and boring.

jester said:
I don't race, I cruise. The smoothness and longevity work for me

There is a part of me that wants to 360 it, but then I'd be like everybody else.
For the record, your slant 6 isn't all that unique. That's like being proud of the fact that you're the only guy in the locker room w/ a small ***** - just because there aren't many of them, doesn;t mean you should brag about it. LOL.

for the record, I'm just trying to be funny - the hobby is what you make of it - we all enjoy different aspects of it - /6 or V8.:thumbup:

lol - I can say the same thing about my Mercury Mystique that has almost 200k miles on it, and is still my daily driver. Believe me, I get no satisfaction whatsoever in the fact that it economical and boring.

I have yet to get "bored" driving my slant six '72 Swinger around. Comparing ANY pre '76 car to a late model one is about more than just the engine.

Not everyone feels the need to be faster than the guy next to him — I outgrew that when I hit my late 20's. There will ALWAYS be someone faster than you. As long as the car is fast enough FOR ME, it's good enough.

For the record, I own and drive a slant six Dart AND a V-8 Dart GT, yet I enjoy my slant a lot more than the GT...

For the record, your slant 6 isn't all that unique.

I disagree completely. It's a lot more unique than a V-8. Walk around a typical car show, Mopar or otherwise. Tell me the ratio of slants to everything else...

That's like being proud of the fact that you're the only guy in the locker room w/ a small ***** - just because there aren't many of them, doesn;t mean you should brag about it. LOL.

No, having a slant is like having a ***** that's 5" long and 5" thick — some folks appreciate different things in an engine.

the hobby is what you make of it - we all enjoy different aspects of it - /6 or V8.:thumbup:

Agreed. But you'll notice that slanters don't make a habit of trashing V-8s at every opportunity, like dissing heavy, gas-guzzling big blocks, etc. Why can't (some folks) show slants the same courtesy and respect we show V-8's? You need a V-8 to make you happy? Great! That doesn't mean everyone else does. What surprises me is that so many V-8 guys seem really insecure, as if if our poor little sixes are some kind of threat to them...

Drive what you like, and let others do the same, even if it's different. That's why a lot of us drive Mopars over Chebbies in the first place...

Agreed. But you'll notice that slanters don't make a habit of trashing V-8s at every opportunity, like dissing heavy, gas-guzzling big blocks, etc. Why can't (some folks) show slants the same courtesy and respect we show V-8's? You need a V-8 to make you happy? Great! That doesn't mean everyone else does. What surprises me is that so many V-8 guys seem really insecure, as if if our poor little sixes are some kind of threat to them...
Dude - stop taking yourself so seriously. Drive what you want -I don't care. sounds like the /6 guys are the insecure ones always crying about the big bad V8 guys picking on them.

sounds like the /6 guys are the insecure ones always crying about the big bad V8 guys picking on them.

Nope, just me, because it gets old, post after post, site after site, year after year. Most slanters just ignore such comments.

But why are folks always surprised when they poke something with a sharp stick long enough that it finally bites back? Slanters have been putting up with criticism and snide comments about our engines for decades. This is an open forum, right? I've got just as much right to pi$$ back as you do to "pick on" our preferred engine, don't I? Funny thing is, if I came to this board making cracks about how V-8's suck, the mods would've probably locked the thread, or banned me from the site.

We're not talking about Honda Civic motors, here — this is a Mopar site, and a slant is still a Mopar engine. Didn't you say your daily driver is a Mercury Mystique? And you're picking on slants???? Gimme a frickin' break.

Ha ha. Just kidding...

Nope, just me, because it gets old, post after post, site after site, year after year. Most slanters just ignore such comments.

But why are folks always surprised when they poke something with a sharp stick long enough that it finally bites back? Slanters have been putting up with criticism and snide comments about our engines for decades. This is an open forum, right? I've got just as much right to pi$$ back as you do to "pick on" our preferred engine, don't I? Funny thing is, if I came to this board making cracks about how V-8's suck, the mods would've probably locked the thread, or banned me from the site.

We're not talking about Honda Civic motors, here — this is a Mopar site, and a slant is still a Mopar engine. Didn't you say your daily driver is a Mercury Mystique? And you're picking on slants???? Gimme a frickin' break.

Relax super slant six guy - I never said you couldn't have your opinion. Somebody's got a Napoleon complex as it relates to engines.

Lol - you may be the only guy at the shows with a /6, but I bet you could win the award for number of people passing your car by and saying: "...oh, it's only a slant six..." Congratulations on being so special.

Hey, I might drive a Mystique, but I'm not under the delusion that people actually want to see it at car shows.

vynn3 said:
Ha ha. Just kidding...
I see what you did here - clever.

Lol - you may be the only guy at the shows with a /6, but I bet you could win the award for number of people passing your car by and saying: "...oh, it's only a slant six..." Congratulations on being so special.

Yeah, most folks walk up to other guys' cars and say "WOW - LOOK! A Small block! Just like this other car over here. And this one. And this one...".

My experience at car shows is the OPPOSITE of what you claim. You honestly think an average, run-of-the-mill 440 with standard bolt-ons will get more attention at a show than something different like a blown slant, like the original poster mentioned? Maybe at a show full of Chebbie guys...

Believe it or not, lots of folks actually find it boring looking at the same engines under the hood of every car. Fortunately, just because YOU don't think outside the box doesn't mean you speak for the majority of car enthusiasts. But I have to ask, if you like belly-buttons so much, why aren't you driving a Camaro or a Mustang instead of a Mopar? Doesn't EVERYBODY want a Camaro?

"Napoleon complex"? Sounds to me like someone's trying to compensate for a personal shortcoming with their car...

Different doesn't mean interesting. A stock slant, however different, is not interesting. Personally, I love a screaming small block .That being said, a tricked out slant is really cool.
I'm currently doing a 71 Scamp for a friend. Offy 4bbl manifold, Holley 390cfm carb, Clifford headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Mopar electronic ignition, chromed early stock valve cover & a lumpy cam [Suggestions?]
This will attract attention!

-
Back