/6 convertor vs. v8 convertor

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
In a previous thread someone said i can use me /6 convertor on my 318 904 swap.(over using the v8 convertor i got with the tranny). what would the advantanages be? which would give me more torque?

Yes, you can use the /6 converter with your 904/318 combo. Torque is created in the engine, and the converter just transmits the available torque through the transmission, to the driveshaft, and then to the differential, and on to the tires. If you use the /6 converter behind the 318, it will stall and flash at a higher RPM than the stock 318 converter, but won't change the ammount of torque available from the engine. With the higher engagement RPM, the engine has a chance to rev a little higher and get more into the power band before the converter actually engages. Since HP and torque are both functions of RPM, the engine will be slightly higher in the torque curve when the converter engages, thus giving you a better off-the-line launch. Also remember that each torque converter will stall and flash differently behind different engines. Hope I didn't confuse both of us. :)

OldVart said:
Yes, you can use the /6 converter with your 904/318 combo. Torque is created in the engine, and the converter just transmits the available torque through the transmission, to the driveshaft, and then to the differential, and on to the tires. If you use the /6 converter behind the 318, it will stall and flash at a higher RPM than the stock 318 converter, but won't change the ammount of torque available from the engine. With the higher engagement RPM, the engine has a chance to rev a little higher and get more into the power band before the converter actually engages. Since HP and torque are both functions of RPM, the engine will be slightly higher in the torque curve when the converter engages, thus giving you a better off-the-line launch. Also remember that each torque converter will stall and flash differently behind different engines. Hope I didn't confuse both of us. :)

Makes sense to me. :)

I have put a /6 converter behind a decently built 360 with a balanced flex plate and it worked great. There shouldn't be any reason that it will not work with your set up.

call me dumb, but why or what would be the sence of paying $250-300 for a high stall convertor then? and are you saying to use the /6 one and not the v8 one.

Ive learned alot from this site but have so much more to learn. I just cant grasp this torque convertor thing and the whole cam lobe durration stuff :sad1:

I had a fairly decent size cam in the motor( I'll leave it vauge for you) that everyone said the converter wouldn't work. Well it ran a 13.94 @ 104 mph in the 1/4. And I drove it every day to work.

i will be using a basicly a stock 318, w/ 600 holly and preformer intake, 8 3/4 with 323 gears, and a stock 904

I know chevy guys used to order Vega convertors and run them fro the higher stall. The 2.2L could run a 3K stall turbo convertor in a std carb automatic and it would help. In any case, if you have a /6, you can use it. It may not be as efficient as a good modern designed part, but it will work justy fine in a mild setup IMO.

If you don't really feel comfortable using the /6 converter you can call ACC performance and get a great converter matched for you motor for a couple hundred bucks.

http://www.accperformance.com/index.htm

Ask for Nelson and tell him Phil with the 11 second Duster told you to call.....

I run a stock slant 6 converter behind my 78 360, have beat the snot out of it, still seams to be fine and flashes to about 2400-2600. I was extremely skeptical at first, but the price was just to good, FREE, I already had it from the the car it is in.

-
Back