/6 Driveshaft-8 3/4???

-

ne57

Reaction score
When I install an 8 3/4 rear end would the /6 driveshaft hook up to it? I'm thinking it might be nice to drive the car while I prepare the hemi that will eventually go in the 66Dart. The motor is going to take time partially because of the expense, partially for parts availabilty. So I guess the questions are will the 8 3/4 require a different length driveshaft when used with the /6, and will the original shaft ujoint fit the new rear?

Even if its not roadworthy if i can at least move it around the driveway to get it out of my way when I have to work on other cars. Only one spot in the driveway is suitable for working.

Thanks

I had to shorten my driveshaft when I did the same swap. U-joints were the same but I think I had to have about 1.5 inches cut off the shaft.

yep you gotta cut it. take a measurement from the end of the tailshaft to the pinion yoke. About $75 to have it done. Have em' put new universal joints on too. A nice upgrade is the larger yoke too.

I had to cut mine too...I was lazy and took it to someone who cut it down for me, then balanced it.

I was lucky when I did mine,I had a drive shaft from a 73 Dart Swinger 318/904.I swapped to the bigger u-joint aand bolted it in!

$75 is cheaper than I might have thought to shorten the shaft. No sweat.

Thanks all!

-
Back