/6 in a sm block car

-

Mysons68dart

Reaction score
Back story , I bought this car in 2012 as a daily driver for my son he drove it for a few years bought a new car then in 2016 we started taking it apart and building a street strip car out of it. The car came with Is a slant 6 automatic automatic didn't really think anything about it till last year I started wondering and After being on the fabo checked out the Vin numbers and found out this car was A 273 car everything else on the Vin was right as far as 2 door hard top blah blah blah.
1st question why would someone go through all that work to switch these engines out?
2nd question I have looked through many posts here And can't find Is what the PT means before my number 225R on the head pad on the Engine. I read where @A56 Posted a chart for the raised casting numbers on the block and it is 68 through 70 block. Thank you for your answers in advance.

Gary
20211001_135617.jpg
20210930_080901.jpg
20210930_120728.jpg

Maybe the original motor took a dump. Depending on the year that the motor was switched out (70's gas crunch) the owner may not have been a car guy and just put in whatever was available or figured they would get better mpg with a /6.

Maybe the original motor took a dump. Depending on the year that the motor was switched out (70's gas crunch) the owner may not have been a car guy and just put in whatever was available or figured they would get better mpg with a /6.
Ya maybe it took a dump and they got a killer deal on a /
What do you think about the PT infront of 225R ?

Ya maybe it took a dump and they got a killer deal on a /
What do you think about the PT infront of 225R ?
PT may be the Trenton assembly plant. Found this as it relates to a different motor
PT: Assembly Plant
225: Engine Size
R: Regular Fuel
2482: Assembly date on the Mopar 10,000 day calendar (Day 2482 is Tuesday, May 14, 1968 )
047: 47th assembled that day.

Last edited:
Found this on the /6 Forum;
The "PT 225 R 24670034" is the engine number, and not the car's VIN. It decodes as :
PT = Trenton engine Plant
225 = 225-cid
R = regular gas
2467 = Engine assembled April 29, 1968
0034 = 34th engine built that day

Not all engines and transmissions had the VIN stamped on them, although those that did were built after January 1, 1968, from what I have been able to determine.

The car's VIN is usually stamped on the right side of the block, just below the head under the #6 cylinder. It may not be a full VIN, just the last eight digits. It will be a machined boss (ie, a piece of nice, smooth iron) with digits stamped into it, just like the location where you found "PT 225 R 24670034".

Plant History: The Trenton North Engine Plant was completed and production started in 1952. The plant underwent a major expansion in 1969. The plant ceased building engines in May 2011.

Plant History: The Trenton North Engine Plant was completed and production started in 1952. The plant underwent a major expansion in 1969. The plant ceased building engines in May 2011.
WOW That's awesome information thank you so much for doing that for me I'm kind of old school and it's really hard for me to look things up and figure it out online. Is that Trenton Ohio? And I did look back there under 6 and on my bosses there's nothing no numbers.
Gary

WOW That's awesome information thank you so much for doing that for me I'm kind of old school and it's really hard for me to look things up and figure it out online. Is that Trenton Ohio? And I did look back there under 6 and on my bosses there's nothing no numbers.
Gary
Michigan, and you're welcome

Last edited:
You don't state the year of the vehicle. If an early-A, 1963-66 then the same K-frame works for 6 and 8 cyl. If 1967+, they might have changed out the K-frame too, or made custom adapters to mount the slant. If you want to go back to a small-block, verify that the steering cross-link is correct. It should drop lower to clear the V-8 oil pan. Google for images.

Maybe someone just wanted to get the car running and that's what they had available at the time.

My daily driver is by vin a 68 GTS, but I bought it as a body shell with no driveline. I literally dug it out from where it sat.

I had a running slant taking up space in the garage. Its a 30 minute job tops, to switch a k frame out when there is no engine in the car.

Been driving the car for 6 years with the slant, most reliable car I've ever had.

Its hard to know what happened to the op car or when, but times change and sometimes things make sense at the time that are head scratchers later lol.

-
Back