/6 leaking oil in garage should I replace just the seal or the pump also?

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have a 63 dart with 125k on the engine and it is leaking some oil when sitting in my garage. Should I just replace the seal when I pull the oil pump or should I replace the pump with a new one since its out?
Thanks
John

When you get it out, take a look at the pump drive gear to see if it's worn.
There's been a lot documented over at slantsix.org about replacement pumps and stock gear failures and it seems that most if not all of the "standard" replacement pumps have a higher output than the OE pumps ( pump impeller is thicker )
Rock Auto lists one for $88 ... not too bad, but getting the thing out is another story :)
Personally, I'd pull the pump, clean, inspect and install with a new gasket unless there was something obviously wrong.

what makes you think the pump is at fault? most likely it is the pan gasket or the plug. find out where the leak is coming from, clean the engine then drive it for about 20-30 minutes then see where the oil is coming from.

good point, slants tend to leak from a number of different places :lol:
Drool tubes, dizzy o-ring, oil pan, valve cover, timing cover, oil pressure sending unit...just to name a few places mine was leaking when I got it...

John,
One thing I did on my 64 when I first got it was tighten all the nuts and bolts and cut oil leaks in half. Unfortunately I have a leak around the oil pump also, so for now it put a drip pan under the car. Nice car you have there!!!!!

something to check to is the o ring on the cover of the pump gets hard and leaks...

as for the pump replacement DONT unless it has oil pressure issues, even then i would look at the internals first... the new pumps have crappy gears and will "strip" the teeth off in the first 1000 miles...

as for getting the pump out i found loosening the trans mounts, and unbolting the passenger side completely, and the drivers side with in the last couple threads so it will "stand up" and then slide the pump out...

-
Back