/6 motor mounts, how to change?

-

BobW

Curmudgeon At Large
Reaction score
'64 Valiant, 225, 4spd manual. What jacking point do I use to raise the engine so I can change the mounts?

What I usually do is lift it from the top with my engine crane but I have also used a piece of 2x8 cut about 8" square and put it on the floor jack under the oil pan.DO NOT JACK DIRECTLY ON THE PAN WITHOUT A GOOD THICK PIECE OF WOOD . You don't have to raise it all that much to do the job . Done it many times both ways

What our member @valiantwagonguy said, if from the bottom, just a little pressure then pull the main mount bolt.. you will know when it is loose enough to pull it out.

What I usually do is lift it from the top with my engine crane but I have also used a piece of 2x8 cut about 8" square and put it on the floor jack under the oil pan.DO NOT JACK DIRECTLY ON THE PAN WITHOUT A GOOD THICK PIECE OF WOOD . You don't have to raise it all that much to do the job . Done it many times both ways
Thanks,that's what I wanted to verify. I have some 2x8 piecesI can use.
I'm replacing the radiator so that will be out of the way as well.

I took the weight off the mounts with a cherry picker.

Yes, used the crane myself just recently. And just FYI... based upon a tip from here on FABO, I went to http://polybushings.com and the (expensive) quality mounts were far far better than others I could find.

I took the weight off the mounts with a cherry picker.

Yes, used the crane myself just recently. And just FYI... based upon a tip from here on FABO, I went to http://polybushings.com and the (expensive) quality mounts were far far better than others I could find.

20220330_185959.jpg

20220330_185952.jpg

-
Back