6 pack, or 4bbl?

-

g49bridges

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and looking for some advice. I have a 74 duster I am swapping from slant 6 to 340. I really want to go 6 pack, but I'm unsure of my cam. Right now it's an early 70s 340, eddy performer rpm heads w/ 202s, 727, 2400 stall, 8 3/4(not sure on gears yet, but will eventually be putting some mid range gears in it). I'm not 100% sure on what cam I have...I know it's a 292, but no idea on lift. Anybody know if this is a decent start for a 6 pack? Or do I need to just keep to the 4bbl with what I've already got going on?

6-packs will run on any combo with tuning. Biggest problem is the price for the whole setup about $2,000 for everything without the air cleaner.

6pak looks cool, sounds like a cool name... but have less power than a good 4bbl and are harder to tune, and cost way more

Tuning a six pack set up is a little harder since the secondary sides of the carbs are metering plates that do not have the precise incriments of jets. There was just a new gizmo put out to run jets in the out board carbs. I can not remember who made it though. There is also a kit to swap out the base plate for the center carb that makes turning the trim screws easier. They angled the trims screws outwards.

Otherwise, the 6pack will tune like any other carb out there.

Now a 4bbl or a 6 pack attack is you choice.
The power differance is nominal..

Price is a BIG factor, but I also hear that getting them tuned right is a Pain in the @$$. I always wanted a six pack set up, but for that price, I can buy a running driving car. For what you will save on buying just a new 4 barrel, you can put money into the car else where.

6pak looks cool, sounds like a cool name... but have less power than a good 4bbl and are harder to tune, and cost way more

Then why was there an old Charger in Highland Park with a prototype six pack Hemi that had better acceleration than the stock dual quad Hemi intake???

A six pack will make more top end power than a 4 bbl if the engine is built to take advantage of the extra airflow.

Our six pack Superbird got better economy on the highway than our 79 Ford coachman conversion van with a 351 M engine in it. (cruising at 55-60 mph without using the secondaries). We shortly ditched the van for a Warlock II.

I had a 6 pack on my 69 Roadrunner. Tuning wasn't as difficult as some make out. There's no question on the "wow" factor of 6 pack vs a 4 bbl but price is a serious consideration.

I had a 6 pack on my 69 Roadrunner. Tuning wasn't as difficult as some make out. There's no question on the "wow" factor of 6 pack vs a 4 bbl but price is a serious consideration.

Exactly the price is just outrageous, I have never owned one BUT if I had the money the tuning would not scare me, I would definitely have a SIX PACK

Thanks for the info guys. I've never touched a 6 pack set up, but I've always wanted one. This is one car I'm putting everything into like I want it, so paying more for a 6 pack just means the build will take a little longer!

Don't settle because it just cuts you short and you'll always have it in your head that you never did what you wanted to do. While the entrance fee for this is a hefty one and take a while to get, it will be worth it in the end.

Enjoy, keep us updated with pictures.

Ah hell. Just slap 6-8 strombergs on there with the velocity tubes. There's you a wow factor! 8)

Used a six pack on my 440 because my dad had it on one of his previous cars and it was sitting in the garage for the past 20 years. Definitely more tuning involved, but as I get the car dialed in, the cool factor just keeps rising. More awesome than he described when those outboards come in!! Promax makes the jettable plates for the outboards, and the base plate for the rear. Made tuning much easier. Despite my frustration early on.. I am now a huge fan of my 440 sixpack and glad I stuck it out! Good luck

The BB 6 pack is a much better piece than the SB one.

Cool factor out of the picture. A SB w/ Air Gap and well tuned 750-850 will mudhole a 6 pack set up.

Build it how you want it.

Use the 4bbl so you can have a running driving car. Get the six-pack later when you have the money, sell the 4bbl and manifold to recoup cost.

Problem solved.

Funny there was just a reply on Moparts similar to this. The guy swapped a SB 6 pack for a RPM intake on a 408/416 & picked up about 39 horse on the dyno.

The port cross sectional area on as-cast small block six pack manifolds are pretty small, I've got one here that I'm thinking about porting heavily and also modifying to increase the radius and raise the runner height where the runner meets the plenum on the low plane.

here's a picture that might help get the idea across. I have no idea how well it will work, but I can't imagine it could do any harm.

The horizontal lines represent approximately the height at which I want to raise the runner.

Hopefully this plus porting would bring it to be on par with other modern dual plane manifolds.

9xgv.jpg

I had the Demon carb and the RPM intake but I sold them and bought a 6 pack set up. The reason was because I have always wanted a 6 pack. I know I will lose HP but who cares on a street car. The coolness is worth it to me.

Six pack all the way , lots of cars at the shop I go to have them , they all run really well . No problems , not sure if you gain or lose HP , depends on the setup

Boils down ,to three things: pocketbook,patience,and learning. If the coolness factor,6 Pak. Ease of use,and practicality, single four barrel.

I'm porting a SB Mopar 6-pack. I've been told by a SB expert that they just port match and that's about it, also said the Mopar piece may be slightly better the the old Eddy. I'm going deep with the porting and using a 6" long bit along with 6" long tapered sanding rolls. The ports are not to bad as far as core
Shift but there is a lot that can be removed from the ports all the way in. The big problem seems to be the 90* turns I can kind of radius the high plane side of the manifold but the bottom plane will have to be done by hand with strips of sand paper and a lot of patients. All in all probably minimal gain for a ton of work! Plus side is I'm using the old DC mechanical carbs that flow closer to a true 1050 to 1100.

Post Extras:

To me if it's more of a race car than a nice 4bbl if it's a cruiser and your going to the shows and cruise go 6bbl if you can swing the cost, your car will be one of a kind at a large cruise with the 6bbl, 90 percent of the rides there will have the single 4bbl with the large 14" chrome cleaner.

Yep, and I'm not building a racecar. If I lose a few hp over what I would have with a 4bbl I'm not worried about it. I just want a nice cruiser with some personal touches. And it's gonna be one of a kind anyway because its a 74 and I'm throwing some earlier duster cosmetics at it...scoop, stripes, spoiler, ect. So a 6 pack should be a really nice touch.

Some comparison pics from the edelbrock casting and the mopar casting.

Under fairly close scrutiny I don't see any difference in port/plenum layout design or size. I consider these to be identical aside from minor external differences.

Note, I have gasket matched the edelbrock, but not the mopar.

3hrq.jpg

89fi.jpg

a4na.jpg

phe8.jpg

-
Back