/6 problems

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I had the motor rebuilt about a year ago. Has about 1000 miles on it, daily driver and only to work, school and home. Was running great.
A recent trend has now been this, I start up, switch into reverse start backing up and either die or I put it in drive and start to acc. and it dies. When it doesnt die, I cant really get it to acc. very well at all.
Any ideas?

225 bored .30 single barrell holley, 904 and typical rear end. The fuel tank was never cleaned or switched out so I was thinking maybe it could have something to do with that or the tranny.

Remove the fuel filter, not which way the fuel is flowing through it. Then empty the filter and take and tap the filter INLET end on a work bench. I bet all kinda crap comes out. If it does, drop the tank and rinse it out til the water comin our is CLEAR. Then dry it out good and put it back in. You'll probably need to clean the carb out too. Might end up needin a kit. Tappin the fuel filter will confirm it. That's the cheapest place to start. If it's dirty, you know what to do.

need way more info for tranny problems--- start simple-- what do you mean hard to get to ACC position? how does the car idle/ rev up in neutral? if the tranny quickly engages -- it is most likely other problems.
check fuel delivery problems-- check ignition then lets us know how it is going , Lawrence

it starts up fine its just when I put it in drive or reverse and give it gas it doenst want to move very well and sometimes dies. most of the time it tries to die.

Does the trans fluid look and smell ok? If so look else where. Its an easy free check. Choke, fuel delivery are my vote for top 2 reasons.
Frank

I had an issue simular to this. Mine was a vacuum leak. but I'm no pro.

What is easier than removing a fuel filter and tapping it out on a work bench? At least that will rule out or confirm a fuel problem REAL quick.

Could be a couple issues going on:

Like mentioned fuel/choke

Torqueflights are nutorious for the converter draining back after it has been shut off a while, when this happens and you start the car and try to accelerate, the car will not move forward or reverse till the converter fills up with fluid!

Good Evening
1) Fuel problem
2) Choke problem -(adjustment)
2a) Choke Thermostat (sdjustment)
3) Vacuum leak (hose/vacuum advance)
This may sound silly, but the carb is indeed bolted tight on the manifold - right?
I had a similar problem years ago and turned out the carb mounting bolts had loosened.

'64 Dart

what have you tried since the suggestions have rolled in?

Good Evening
1) Fuel problem
2) Choke problem -(adjustment)
2a) Choke Thermostat (sdjustment)
3) Vacuum leak (hose/vacuum advance)
This may sound silly, but the carb is indeed bolted tight on the manifold - right?
I had a similar problem years ago and turned out the carb mounting bolts had loosened.

'64 Dart

I am experiencing a similar problem, I have a couple of problems on the list such as a fuel problem and a Thermostat problem. I may need to replace my thermostat, if that is 100% the problem but if not will tightening the carb mounting bolts work well?

It is not the fuel filter, the spacer below the carb is torn, so gas is leaking out on my intake, I plan on going to a four barrel soon anyways so I guess it can sit a month till I have everything taken car of.

-
Back