/6 Torsion Bar Question

-

chillent

Reaction score
So I bought a set of used /6 torsion bars for my strip car and was about to install them ... looked down the axis of the bar and saw that they have a bow in them! In other words, they are bent in the middle ... both of them. They are in great condition and don't look abused in any way.

Is this normal? Is there a natural bow supposed to be there? I'm thinking no?

Your thinking is correct, a bow is not normal; or at least I've never seen a set bowed.

The slant 6 bars are so undersprung that the weight of the car results in a significant about of twist in the bar. Over time the /6 bars can become bowed as a result. It's not unusual for the /6 bars to be bowed like that if they're originals. Buy new bars if you want to run that little wheel rate, they have a lot more movement and twisting than bars with a decent wheel rate. Running 40+ year old springs that see that much twist and movement is asking for trouble eventually.

And torsion bars are not just bar stock. They're spring steel and heat treated. Why you'd rather spend $5k on a coilover set up instead of just spending a few hundred bucks on good quality new bars is beyond me.

The slant 6 bars are so undersprung that the weight of the car results in a significant about of twist in the bar. Over time the /6 bars can become bowed as a result. It's not unusual for the /6 bars to be bowed like that if they're originals. Buy new bars if you want to run that little wheel rate, they have a lot more movement and twisting than bars with a decent wheel rate. Running 40+ year old springs that see that much twist and movement is asking for trouble eventually.

And torsion bars are not just bar stock. They're spring steel and heat treated. Why you'd rather spend $5k on a coilover set up instead of just spending a few hundred bucks on good quality new bars is beyond me.

I know, I know they're not just bar stock, and they're spring steel, etc, etc. Just seems so antiquated.

One big benefit is the added engine bay real estate you gain. But, to your point, is that enough payback.

I know, I know they're not just bar stock, and they're spring steel, etc, etc. Just seems so antiquated.

One big benefit is the added engine bay real estate you gain. But, to your point, is that enough payback.
Not only spring steel, but the way they are wrapped and formed is specific & critical, a coil is more low-tech, even progressive & tapered ones.....'tis why there are R&L bars.
Round wheels are antiquated too, I have a set of cutting-edge egg formed ones that reduce friction by partially eliminating road contact.....interested?
IF....You truly need more room for components & exh., then a conversion might be needed, return?.............only You, the dyno, & the track can tell You that one.

They aren't antiquated. Just buy another set without a bow. I run them. I also have a thread on here where I put them on the wrong side. Even though I KNEW there is a left and right. So be careful.

-
Back