60-2 crank trigger wheel for a '71 318

-

robertodonnell

Reaction score
HI all from Down Under!

I run a Holley HP EFI system on my 318, and I'm looking to get away from distributor trigger, and go crank.

Is anyone aware of a 60-2 trigger wheel that is a direct bolt up to the standard SBM balancer? I'm hoping I can just order something from Rockauto, instead of having to modify, or custom make something.

My accessory pulleys are around 6 1/2" diameter, so I suppose I'm looking for something in the vicinity of 7"- 8"?

Cheers,

Robert

Can't see why you would bother then, unless it's for the "bling" factor. Just get a blank one and drill it, that will be the easiest option. You will need to run two washers on your crank bolt, so your lower pulley has some where to locate and be supported, or put the wheel on and then your crank bolt.

I have not looked into this "yet." I have a "used-to-be" Holley Commander 950 which I upgraded with the HP computer, and hope "one day" to build an MPFI system out of it.

You might go dig around Megasquirt, or even contact Matt Cramer (spelling?) He's part of Megasquirt, and is a member here

MPFI, if your going sequential, the crank and cam trigger is what you need .
If it's MPFI batch fire, then you might as well use the distributor.
If it's throttle body injected, then you may as well just use the distributor

Thanks guys.

I have my reasons for using a crank trigger. Looking to go mpi in the future, but attempting to resolve a trigger issue in the meantime. Cheers.

I spotted those last night while trolling, very nice work!

I'd say I'll go for a stock wheel had just modify it locally to fit the balancer. Since my car is H51 equipped, I'll probably get the pulley spacer turned to accept the wheel. Exchange rates and costs of freight on bespoke items are going to make that more affordable I suppose.

Thanks for the input chaps!

By the way, is anyone else running one of these systems on their SBM? I'm seemingly experiencing trigger issues, and my injector pulse drops out from time to time, sending my AFR lean off the scale.

Cheers,

Robert

robertodonnell said:
I'm seemingly experiencing trigger issues, and my injector pulse drops out from time to time, sending my AFR lean off the scale.
Cheers,
Robert

Screenshot form freeze frame/ eerrr dataloging ?
Thx

If the trigger sensor gap is too large, signal may be lost with runout or mount vibration. Typical Hall sensor gap is 1mm, 2 mm max. Also tooth alignment with center of sensor. Target wheel should be demagnatized, anealed, low carbon steel. The wheel needs to be spaced enough from other metal, so sensor only sees desired teeth. A scope or other means to capture signal with another reference trigger helps troubleshoot.

-
Back