'60 Valiant Wagon - Trying to find interior color for rear storage area

-

60burban

Reaction score
Hello Forum!
I'm in the process of restoring a 1960 V200 Suburban and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum might know what color the factory used to paint the inside of the tailgate and the rear storage compartment "hatches". The color looks like some sort of brown or tan color and it was the same on all wagons regardless of the exterior color. I have both dupont and ditzler paint chips as well as a color dupont index and none of these include that color.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sincerely
Mark B.

Hey Hyper, That's a great looking cargo bay! If the 60 was black that would make things so much easier! I might just have to bring the interior tailgate panel over to my paint supplier and try to get it matched.

Thanks Mark
Yes it's starting to look like a real wagon now. Best of luck on yours!
And I said gloss black but was most likely satin black.
Post some pictures!

I'm not sure if you're doing a totally original type resto, or making a Hot Rod....but I'll share what I did in the back of a 64 Belvedere wagon that was more of a Hot Rod. I took all of the cargo area floor parts to the local Rhino Liner place, and they sprayed it inside all the indentions where the old Masonite stuff from the factory went. They built it up until it was slightly higher than the surrounding edges to keep them from getting scratched. It turned out awesome. They can do colors, and as an added bonus it keeps stuff from sliding around in the back. Good luck with your little wagon.

Hello Forum!
I'm in the process of restoring a 1960 V200 Suburban and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum might know what color the factory used to paint the inside of the tailgate and the rear storage compartment "hatches". The color looks like some sort of brown or tan color and it was the same on all wagons regardless of the exterior color. I have both dupont and ditzler paint chips as well as a color dupont index and none of these include that color.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sincerely
Mark B.

Hey Hyper-Pak - is that the inside of a 61 & 62 Lancer wagon? I ask because the cargo floor 'board', grooved seat and shape of the rear windows look more like a 63-66 A body wagon. The floor of the cargo bay in my '63 Dart wagon has that big floor panel with dish and wing nut to hold it down on the spare underneath.

Mark, my 60 V200 wagon's floor looks way different. I have a multi-panel floor that folds down and covers the cargo area. I don't know what you mean by 'cargo hatches': other than the rear tire well, I don't have any cargo hatches in my wagon. The inside panel of my tailgate is painted the dove grey of the outside, and the panel matched. The rear cargo bay has plastic body panels that are red.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Hey Hyper-Pak - is that the inside of a 61 & 62 Lancer wagon? I ask because the cargo floor 'board', grooved seat and shape of the rear windows look more like a 63-66 A body wagon. The floor of the cargo bay in my '63 Dart wagon has that big floor panel with dish and wing nut to hold it down on the spare underneath.

Yep that is my 62 Lancer. Wood board goes all the way to the rear sill. 2 metal panels on either side of the wood board. There is a hole with a metal plate and a wingnut holding it all down. A metal plate over the shock mounts that goes to the back of the rear seat.

Attachments

• DSCN0399.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 121
I used black bed liner on mine and one oif those large entry way throw rugs. Keeps stuff from sliding around

Cargo area's for '61's and 62's were semi gloss black. '60's were unique in that they actually had a vinyl piece inlaid in the recessed areas of the various steel floor panels. Since we last spoke I have acquired an unmolested '60 wagon and I'd say the painted areas were a dark gray or silver (non-metallic) color instead of the semi gloss black used in the later cars. Also there could easily be slight differences in finishes depending on where a particular car was assembled. Pm me your email and I can send photos if helpful.

I have never seen a 60 wagon up close. If you could post pictures of your cargo area that would be cool!

-
Back