600 Holley Double Pumper on a 318

-

mikeyb0013

Reaction score
I'm just getting my engine (318 LA 2 BBL auto) rebuilt and pushing the HP up to about 225. My wife (bless her soul) bought me a Holley 4150 600 CFM Double pumper for Christmas. Anyone know of any issues with that? Is it to much/too little? Also the engine shop recommended keeping the original heads rather than switch them to 360's to keep the torque up in the engine. As usual all comments greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!!

Mike

If your shooting for 225 I would keep the 318 heads for sure,if the carb was a vaccum secondary it would be better but a 4150 runs richer and are a bit trickier to calibrate,especially with a mild 318 like that.You could always build the engine around the carb!.

I would go with a Edelbrock Performer 4 bbl intake. Add a 600 Edelbrock carb vacuum secondary.
Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit. Then add dual exhaust with headers, or do what I did and put on 340 hi-po manifolds.

This little motor/ (which was stock) would boogie !
I could roast the 205/70-14's I had on it !

Picture 328.jpg

Rule of thumb when buying a carb is Automatic trans go with vacuum secondaries.... manual trans go with manual (DP) secondaires. The guy at Holley told me this years ago.

I'd swap it out for a vacuum secondary model.
I used that very carb on a 318, but with a 4spd manual trans. EXCELLENT! Is what I say. The mechanical secondary side may be a bit difficult with an auto trans and the mild power output.

GOD bless your wife!

I also agree a vacuum sec. will work much better for your engine. You can use a double pumper on a car with an automatic but you definetly need a pretty good size stall converter. At least a 3000. Then their still tricky to tune.

Either a 600 vacuum sec. Holley or a 600 Eddy. will be a very close match for your engine right out of the box.

Thanks for the replies. I took the double pumper back and bought the Edelbrock. Once the temperature warms up (my garage is not heated) I'll toss it on and away we go!!!

I am useing a 625 Carter AFB, near the exact same as the Edel. 600 cfm. Ding ding dead reliable!

3 in a row, hummm, must work or something...........LOL

I would go with a Edelbrock Performer 4 bbl intake. Add a 600 Edelbrock carb vacuum secondary.
Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit. Then add dual exhaust with headers, or do what I did and put on 340 hi-po manifolds.

This little motor/ (which was stock) would boogie !
I could roast the 205/70-14's I had on it !

Man that is clean, Nice job

-
Back