600cfm or 750cfm? That is the question??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
This topic kind of started in my last post so I thought I'd just start a new thread on the topic.

I have read that with the 600cfm on a 360 it starts to loose gas on high RPM's, so i decided to go with a 750cfm. Others have said that a 600CFM is fine.

I also have a stroker, what do you guys think?

It was also advised from someone who knows quite a bit at my shop to look at "Quick Fuel" carbs. I have noticed though that Quick Fuel is around $200.00 more then the others, so I THINK I have decided to stick with a Edelbrock 750.
Even the guy at my shop, when I ask him about the size of the carb he was even like... ahh?? 600? 650?? 700??? around there, and he knows quite about about this stuff. However a Quick Fuel 600, might be a completely different animal then the Edelbrock 600. Whats the difference between the "performer", and the "Thunder" anyway??
Thanks!

I'm running a 750 holley on my stock 360 and it's running great after a little tuning. I've read quite a few threads about people having problems with the eddy 750. seems to be limited to the 750 though. Bigger and smaller seem to be fine. The quick fuel will have a ton more adjustment built into it which is probably why it cost more. I went with a proform 750dp and have been very happy with it. It has ( most likely the qf also) shaved choke horn, billet base plate, four corner idle, secondary idle speed leaver, removable air bleeds and god knows what else that I'm forgetting. All that adjustment make you able to tune to all different types of motor combos. My car ran like a fuel injected car. Idled great and you hit the throtle at any rpm/speed the ***** just went. I guess it really depends what combo your running and how you intend to use it.

You can't compare an Edelbrock carb to a Quick Fuel,one a replacement carb the other is a performance carb i run a Quickfuel 850 on both my 360 and 416 with very nice results,its the best carb i've ever used..

I tried a 750 Eddy and it sucked.... brought the car home switched to 750 Holley HP carb and haven't looked back. I know that some folks say that the Holley HP series isn't intended for street driving but honestly I have not had any troubles with it on the street.

I like the primary and secondaries idle mixture adjustments. There is no choke however but never run a choke anyways when I had the type carb with one. LOL

650cfm

In many cases a 750 is just to much carb for a 360...

Man, this is crazy! it's just all over the place. So much for a easy answer! :)
Basically stay away from the 750 Edelbrock and everything will be fine.
I'd get a Quick Fuel if it were cheaper. That street avenger 670 cfm does sound like an option...
How many Hollys are there???? There are quite a few to choose from. Which one is the good one? Avenger?

Man, this is crazy! it's just all over the place. So much for a easy answer! :)
Basically stay away from the 750 Edelbrock and everything will be fine.
I'd get a Quick Fuel if it were cheaper. That street avenger 670 cfm does sound like an option...
How many Hollys are there???? There are quite a few to choose from. Which one is the good one? Avenger?

What type of engine is this carb going on? A hot-cammed street/strip engine, or a milder street-driver one? I used my buddy's 600 cfm Edelbrock Performer on my 318 and it worked fantastically, but of course the carb I swapped off was a POS ThermoQuad.

The Performer is based off the Carter AFB while the Thunder is based off the AVS. They are basically the same except the AVS has an adjustable spring-loaded secondary air valve while the AFB's is non-adjustable and operated by counterweights. The only thing the adjustable one helps with is letting the secondaries start working sooner (NOT opening, Edelbrocks/Carters are all mechanical secondaries with a vacuum-operated air door) or later, which helps the engine get its fill at the correct time.

A Holley will drive great and have great performance but they are not sophisticated enough to get the best possible gas mileage for more street-oriented engines (unless of course you're talking about the Street Avenger series).

Since I'm guessing your engine is over 400 cubes I'd recommend a 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger or an 800 cfm Edelbrock Performer OR Thunder series (preferably Thunder just because of the extra tune-ability).

-
Back