62 413 1852029 #

-

cmorrow

Reaction score
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if building a 1962 413 would be good for a big block? Casting numbers on block are 1852029, I know it is in really good shape, appears to be a truck block and 324 casting number heads and can get a set of 213 as well. I'm told it has a steel crank and better con rods. I've been thinking of getting a big block to build for the Duster someday. So, how much is this partial motor worth? The block does have AAQA cast on the front left, and said it's a warranty block?
Thanks

Piston selection for them leaves a lot to be desired...can you find a 440 instead?

It should have a steel crank, which would interchange with a 440, not sure on the rods except that they interchange. It's not that the 413 is a "bad" big block, but likely for the same price, you could find a 440 in similar or even better shape...

With the speed pro slugs and some typical open chamber heads, you'd yield a blistering 7.1:1 SCR...wow...

Dropping in a 3.915 stroker crank, .040" pistons, would put them 0.019" out of the hole (on a blueprinted 10.725" deck measurement), and yield 440 ci...and boost the CR to an unprecedented 8.4:1 :)

...another option...4" crank, 383 stock bore, which is .0625" over stock 413, stock rods, 454 ci, open chamber heads would yield about 9.8:1 SCR with 86cc chambers...

...or haggle for a low price and call up someone like Ross, Arias, JE, Probe, or racetec...have them whittle some new pistons

Thanks,
That does pretty much sound like a complete waste of time and money, it would probably make the car slower than the 318 that's in it now with the added weight.

I guess it all depends on what you want...there is a great deal of extra cost involved swapping to a big block, regardless of it's displacement. But if you're going to swap, finding a 440 would likely be just as easy, and you suddenly have several more choices when it comes to pistons. As to whether or not it would be slower than your 318, what all's in your 318? If you want power approaching big block level, just build up a stout 360 or even go stroker...you could even put a 4" arm in your 318 and get 390 cubes...that kit adds about $1500 or so to the short block cost but you get a bunch of cubes right now.

I guess it all depends on what you want...there is a great deal of extra cost involved swapping to a big block, regardless of it's displacement. But if you're going to swap, finding a 440 would likely be just as easy, and you suddenly have several more choices when it comes to pistons. As to whether or not it would be slower than your 318, what all's in your 318? If you want power approaching big block level, just build up a stout 360 or even go stroker...you could even put a 4" arm in your 318 and get 390 cubes...that kit adds about $1500 or so to the short block cost but you get a bunch of cubes right now.

Your absolutely correct, in pointing out, the Wedge swaps. I really like that 318/390 combo, unless it's gotta have the" Friday night , drive in " impression.
Just a dufus opine....

Your absolutely correct, in pointing out, the Wedge swaps. I really like that 318/390 combo, unless it's gotta have the" Friday night , drive in " impression. Just a dufus opine....

Nah, not doofus at all to me--having the drive-in appeal is a concern, and a 413 would fit the bill when it comes to that...especially a non-industrial one since all the stuff one would use on a 440 would fit.

If it were me, and money wasn't an issue, I'd buy some custom pistons, set it up for about 9:1 and build it like anyone else would a 440...and put an overdrive transmission behind it...

Of course, money is always a concern...

A 413 could be a cool engine to have if that is what you want but they'll always make less power than a 440 if everything else is equal. You'll end up throwing everything other than the block away so if you buy that 413 don't pay more than $200 for it.

I have a 426W block that I'm going to put a 4.15 crank in to build a 478 inch engine. I'll use Edelbrock heads and either a CH-28 intake or a 440+6 intake. A 440 block would have more cubes and a little more power but I have the 426W block and I want to use it.

I pulled a 413 out of a 1962 Chrysler 4dr ($50) at a junk yard. I rebuilt it adding a new 284 Purple cam, valve job 906 heads (from a 383), punched it out for 1964 426 11:0/1 Max Wedge Pistons (used $175) new rings, topped with a new in the box NOS alloy Six-Pac (traded a cross ram) and scrounged used carbs. Because of an evil guy in a Honda Accord who totaled my parked Ramcharger clone, the "413" was finally dropped in a 1970 (340 original-long gone) Plum Crazy/White Dodge Challenger convertible, 727, 3:23 8-3/4 posi and G-60-14s on 7" Rally Wheels (which dates me and the project).

It was a beautiful summer day on 101 in Camarillo California on one of those 55mph speed limit days of ago. Some guy with a 454 Vette pulled up and matched speeds and just had to race. At 55mph, I tapped it into 2nd, right foot to the floor, and the car didn't speed upright away, but the speedo fluctuated at 90-130 (no tach working yet). There was white smoke in the mirror, which I realized as the car started to slip sideways a bit at the rear, was from the tires. So I let up a bit on the gas and lurched forward, then reflowed it, clicked 3rd and keep going until reaching 125 of 150mph on the Challenger speedo. About 5 miles later the Vette guy caught up and yelled, "What the hell do you have in that thing kid?" So yes, I liked the 1962 "413" I had.

I pulled a 413 out of a 1962 Chrysler 4dr ($50) at a junk yard. I rebuilt it adding a new 284 Purple cam, valve job 906 heads (from a 383), punched it out for 1964 426 11:0/1 Max Wedge Pistons (used $175) new rings, topped with a new in the box NOS alloy Six-Pac (traded a cross ram) and scrounged used carbs. Because of an evil guy in a Honda Accord who totaled my parked Ramcharger clone, the "413" was finally dropped in a 1970 (340 original-long gone) Plum Crazy/White Dodge Challenger convertible, 727, 3:23 8-3/4 posi and G-60-14s on 7" Rally Wheels (which dates me and the project).

It was a beautiful summer day on 101 in Camarillo California on one of those 55mph speed limit days of ago. Some guy with a 454 Vette pulled up and matched speeds and just had to race. At 55mph, I tapped it into 2nd, right foot to the floor, and the car didn't speed upright away, but the speedo fluctuated at 90-130 (no tach working yet). There was white smoke in the mirror, which I realized as the car started to slip sideways a bit at the rear, was from the tires. So I let up a bit on the gas and lurched forward, then reflowed it, clicked 3rd and keep going until reaching 125 of 150mph on the Challenger speedo. About 5 miles later the Vette guy caught up and yelled, "What the hell do you have in that thing kid?" So yes, I liked the 1962 "413" I had.
cool story ! did the same thing w/ a hot porche on 169 a few yrs ago. I was in a tubbed 406 vega then !

-
Back