'62 Alternator Rebuild Questions

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
So my original '62 Mopar alternator started making some noise and it sound like bearing noise. I took it apart and the front bearing feels smooth as silk. Anyone know if this is common to just have a bit of dried grease in this? It is an unsealed ball-in-cage bearing. I have a new rear one on the way.

The rotor looks to have just been baaaaarely getting the stator; there is no real mark anywhere on the stator, just some varnish scraped off of the high spots on the rotor. Dunno of a few thousandths side play in the front bearing would be enough or not.

Anyone have a source of brushes? (Besides eBay...) The ones in there are round but the holders are square.....it that normal?

Might as well replace front, puller needed for pulley removal, press to reinstall. Service manual has procedure.

I think you can buy a brush set for about $1.50 at local auto parts stores. Yes, round brush, square holder.

Tnx, Kit. I ID'd the front bearing as a Timken or BCA 203 so that should be locally available. Tnx for the brush info.

-
Back