62 D500 Clutch won't disengage

-

SDHomesteade

Reaction score
Me and a Fellow Rancher are working on his Dodge D500 Grain Truck that was in an area of his ranch last summer that got flooded. Got most of it fixed and started today but the Clutch Won't disengage. 318 with a 4 speed Transmission.
It's got a Hydraulic Clutch and won't disengage to go into gear. The inspection plate was off during the flooding. Hydraulic Components seem to be all in working order, Push Pedal, Slave Cylinder works, Looking in the inspection plate, the clutch disks move, we can see a noticeable gap between the plates when the pedal is pushed, but it just grinds gears when trying to put it in gear with clutch pedal pressed. Short of taking the transmission out, does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this???? We are thinking that during the flooding something got wedged in between the plates and is causing the friction plate to not disengage.

Transmission was working Fine before the flooding. My questions Started out in the Electrical Forum (we resolved that) and I mentioned this problem in my follow up post on that subsection as well and figured I would mention it here as well, not trying to double post this issue.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave

My '65 W500 would do that sometimes, similar situation with a 318 Poly and NP435. Even with climbing under and seeing a small gap between the clutch and flywheel, it just wasn't big enough of a gap. Try laying under it and carefully slide a flat screwdriver in to separate the two, and have a friend bump the starter to turn the clutch.

Is it possible that water swelled the clutch material or caused it to come apart ?
Trans shaft rusted to the crank shaft ? I don't know if there is a bushing or a needle bearing there.

Thanks, Doing some research on the net last night and got a few suggestions to try on this today. One of the suggestions is to put it in gear, then start it, then tap the Gas Pedal a few times to see if that loosens up the Clutch and Throwout Bearing. Worse Case Scenario they are saying the throwout bearing could be rusted to the shaft. It's Sat for about 6-9 months since the flooding so who knows.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks again, we got it today with Just backing it up and tapping on the Gas pedal. She's Running and driving again.

-
Back