62 LANCER GAS LEAK

-

tim rosetano

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 62 Lancer. Not much history on it. When i fill it up all the way, it leaks fuel out of the top. I haven't gotten in there to check it out yet, but was wondering if anyone had some advice. The unit coming out of the tank looks like it's been replaced at some point. The cap says not vented. Not sure if that matters, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Even the 63-6 A's leaked when you fill them , you have to turn the pump handle over to fill them today without getting a back up. Whats the angle of the filler pipe in the trunk? Ever notice the paint on many of them under the filler is bad?

Op, are you talking about a leak under the car, or out the filler neck, while filling up?
(Pretty sure those caps were vented way back when. Nobody cared about gas fumes).

Even the 63-6 A's leaked when you fill them , you have to turn the pump handle over to fill them today without getting a back up. Whats the angle of the filler pipe in the trunk? Ever notice the paint on many of them under the filler is bad?
Here's a pic. I did notice the paint under the cap. Looks like there may have been a little fire in the trunk.

IMG_20220226_162112118.jpg

Op, are you talking about a leak under the car, or out the filler neck, while filling up?
(Pretty sure those caps were vented way back when. Nobody cared about gas fumes).
If I put a couple gallons in it, it doesn't leak. It looks like it's leaking out of the top, around that connection at the sending unit, but only when i fill up. It stops leaking after the fuel level goes down. I haven't had a chance to really get under to look. It just seems to be a drip that comes down when overfilled, and it will run down the back of the tank.

anything that is closer to the gas when it's filled - the round gasket in the tank opening where the filler tube goes in (under the gasket in the trunk), the gasket at the sending unit, the little hose between the sending unit an the hard fuel line... or god forbid a hole high in the tank.

The rubber gaskets around the sending units are a common issue, especially when the sending unit has been replaced with a new one. The tangs on the new lock rings are never bent up enough to properly engage the lock and bring the lock ring down tight enough to make the gasket seal, so they leak. They ALL do it, unless you take some pliers and gently bend the tangs on the lock ring up a little to make it tighten down on the gasket. It's much easier to do with the tank out of the car.

The rubber gaskets around the sending units are a common issue, especially when the sending unit has been replaced with a new one. The tangs on the new lock rings are never bent up enough to properly engage the lock and bring the lock ring down tight enough to make the gasket seal, so they leak. They ALL do it, unless you take some pliers and gently bend the tangs on the lock ring up a little to make it tighten down on the gasket. It's much easier to do with the tank out of the car.
Thanks. So I have a question. Since the guage isn't working I understand it could be a few things, including the float being stuck. If I'm going to drop the tank to inspect, would you recommend installing a whole new sending unit, or just trying to seal off that gasket?

Thanks. So I have a question. Since the guage isn't working I understand it could be a few things, including the float being stuck. If I'm going to drop the tank to inspect, would you recommend installing a whole new sending unit, or just trying to seal off that gasket?
You can test it while it's out with a volt ohmmeter. You can also test the gauge by grounding the sender wire and turning on the ignition. The gauge should go to full if it is good.

-
Back