63-66 a body ac options

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually bought an aftermarket air set up for their 63-66 a body and sucsessfully installed it?

My car is all apart and I’m at final paint next week. With the car completely apart the dash is not in it. It was originally a non ac car with center console. I would like to do a re popped mark IV unit but I believe it will not fit with the console and floor shift. Next option is not to install a factory heat box and go with a aftermarket heat box with ac and hide the new controls. With that small and tight dash- what one fits under the dash? Fabrication and holes are part of the deal but size wise I’m not sure if stuffing 5lbs of stuff in a 2lbs bag is worth the energy.
I don’t really want a factory ac set up as parts tomorrow may not be available.
Thanks
Joe

Has anyone here actually bought an aftermarket air set up for their 63-66 a body and sucsessfully installed it?

I bought an aftermarket underdash slimline AC unit for another early A (now long gone!) which would have been no problem fitting with the 65 min-console or the 66-later coffin-style. The unit was self-contained with it’s own evaporator, blower and controls. It would have been easy to install and wire; 2 holes in the firewall for the lines. I will take a couple of pics when I get home

I have an underdash with a CB under it. But I don't have a floor shifter to contend with. These are build photos mostly, but it all works. The trick is the bracket. It was made by Charrlie_S and unfortunately there aren't any more available.

FGp9cY2.jpg

sLFr1g8.jpg

0pioZcn.jpg

fCoE1ZA.jpg

Thanks! It's a replica housing around a vintage Sun Tach II I had converted to one-wire. The real Dixcos are way too expensive for me, I'm afraid. Still looks good though.

My car is all apart and I’m at final paint next week. With the car completely apart the dash is not in it. It was originally a non ac car with center console. I would like to do a re popped mark IV unit but I believe it will not fit with the console and floor shift. Next option is not to install a factory heat box and go with a aftermarket heat box with ac and hide the new controls. With that small and tight dash- what one fits under the dash? Fabrication and holes are part of the deal but size wise I’m not sure if stuffing 5lbs of stuff in a 2lbs bag is worth the energy.
I don’t really want a factory ac set up as parts tomorrow may not be available.
Thanks
Joe
Have you looked at the vintage air mini as an option?
Vintage Air Gen-II Mini Universal Climate Control Systems 66005-VUX-A

I have an underdash with a CB under it. But I don't have a floor shifter to contend with. These are build photos mostly, but it all works. The trick is the bracket. It was made by Charrlie_S and unfortunately there aren't any more available.

View attachment 1715206440

View attachment 1715206441
View attachment 1715206442
View attachment 1715206443

Army of Chuckness: Thank you very much for all the details! I greatly appreciate it.
I also like the 50"s era spin you put on it with dual alley lights and the dash pad delete.
I wonder if the console will clear as that is the way to go. I've been talking with Vintage air about the set up and they wanted to sell me a GenIV complete unit but
those little a-body dashes are pretty small. I've got to hang the dash and see what kind of space I can get under it. With out Mother MoPar's heat box there really is alot of room.
Anything under the dash is kinda at my knees and that's a tough one to deal with. I already look thru the green tint at the top of the windshield.

Robcuda,

I just checked and that unit you recommended possibly will fit but no defroster. I need to get the specs for the one with defroster and see if that fits under there.
I know somebody has to make a system that works. I was hoping not to guess and speak to someone who actually has built a aftermarket system that will share their info to help others out.
Not alot in terms for early abody out there.

Robcuda,

I just checked and that unit you recommended possibly will fit but no defroster. I need to get the specs for the one with defroster and see if that fits under there.
I know somebody has to make a system that works. I was hoping not to guess and speak to someone who actually has built a aftermarket system that will share their info to help others out.
Not alot in terms for early abody out there.
Hi. There is a model with defroster I will send link later. A little more money of course.

I have the same question for my ‘66 Valiant Hardtop. I did obtain an original Mopar unit from a ‘66 Barracuda with a Center console which was modified (cut) to fit. I have some of the compressor mounting brackets, it’s really close to the battery & looks like I’m missing a pulley & bracket to set belt tension.

0C5C993D-AA3F-46D5-8A63-B82EE2FF9A2F.jpeg

17464356-3563-4B18-8EFF-392202CE371B.jpeg

A858B27D-C5B5-4119-B1F7-FCF20CF1C123.jpeg

I bought an aftermarket underdash slimline AC unit for another early A (now long gone!) which would have been no problem fitting with the 65 min-console or the 66-later coffin-style. The unit was self-contained with it’s own evaporator, blower and controls. It would have been easy to install and wire; 2 holes in the firewall for the lines. I will take a couple of pics when I get home

And here’s a couple of pics:
20F1AF48-460C-49F9-BED8-E5C0C66F299C.jpeg
50F8D3B7-D3AB-41D4-9DAC-E0DDDAA52191.jpeg
D6359473-9608-4A78-A403-82475D1186BD.jpeg

Here is the model with defrost. These units are controlled with electro servo. The controller is about 60.00.
I will be watching this thread too to see what options people come up with besides the "knee knocker".
Vintage Air Gen-II Compac Universal Climate Control Systems 68000-VUZ-A
I bought an original factory AC/Heat unit from a car being parted out. It's much larger than that VA Gen II unit. If this factory unit will go under the dash, that one surly will. I put this one in my 65 Dart. I wish I had done the VA, but I'm not sure that any A/C unit will cool this convert like I want it.

I bought an original factory AC/Heat unit from a car being parted out. It's much larger than that VA Gen II unit. If this factory unit will go under the dash, that one surly will. I put this one in my 65 Dart. I wish I had done the VA, but I'm not sure that any A/C unit will cool this convert like I want it.
What was the donor car? Would love to know as not many would fit.

Any early A with factory air (with the integrated heat and AC controller), the underdash units fit quite well under the dash with virtually no loss of legroom if you have a bench seat - no loss with buckets. I have found that Unless you have a complete donor vehicle the same as what you have, then typically the hardest part to find is the heat/AC bezel. 65 and 66 Darts are both one year only. 65 Valiants and Barracudas one year only. 66 Barracudas and 66 Valiants were each there own model for the bezel! I decided early on in my wagon build I want factory air so I am using the factory air firewall, underdash assembly and had my compressor and drier rebuilt by Classic Air. I am using R12 as that’s what the system was designed for to provide maximum cooling. When converting to R134 Classic Air told me they could make the adjustments during the compressor rebuild and provide a replacement 134 compatible condenser at extra cost. The tech said With 134, Extra cabin insulation should be added as well as tinted windows and would be helpful even using R12

Yes all will fit under dash but it seems not with the 66’ console.
Thanks all for the help. What ever I go with I’ll be sure to shoot some pics for an artical.
This is a tough spot- need for ac on hot day but small early a dash.

I think the slimline that Dartman pictured would fit fine with a console. The Knee Knocker not without trimming. It is too bad the manufacturers don't produce a custom fit unit for the 63-66 cars but there probably isn't enough call for it. I will poke around at the Nats next week and see if there are cars in the show field with air and how it fit. As for the early A's, the 66 is the only one because of the coffin console and there are not too many 66's there usually.

My '65 Dart has factory air and it is a compact, well designed and made unit that provides heating & cooling for the defroster and fresh air as well as recirculated air (Max a/c). It's much more compact than after market units and will clear your console. They had to, as they were sold on '66 Darts and Barracudas. The hole in the firewall for the fan motor is larger than a non a/c car, so consider that as now might be the time to make that revision prior to paint. I've read in this forum that the wiring harness bulkhead connector opening is smaller in factory a/c cars, but I can't verify that as I don't have access to another early A for comparison.
I chose to replace the large, bulky and heavy piston compressor Chrysler used. It is power robbing and vibrates terribly. Converted to a Sanden style rotary compressor.

Thanks all for the help. What ever I go with I’ll be sure to shoot some pics for an artical.
I used a setup from Classic Auto Air and also got very good customer service from them. I called several times while installing in my ‘66 Dart GT. I’ve had less-than-helpful responses from Vintage Air while installing in a Chevy years ago. When shopping for my Dart unit, VApeople didn’t want to help me. I asked for some dimensions of one unit and I eas told to buy it and find out the dimensions. Perhaps they are better now, but I really like Classic Auto Air unit and customer service.
Jerry

Try this one or one similar in design . I have been looking at a unit for the wifes car since I am using oem parts for my 66 and don't need it yet

Vintage Air Slim Line Under Dash A/C Evaporator Heat/Cool/Defrost - 11300-VUZ-A | eBay

or
New A/C Under-Dash Unit - Universal UN 0886C | eBay
or
New A/C Under-Dash Unit - Universal UN 0891C 711307208876 | eBay
or even wood grained
Universal Under Dash AC Evaporator Underdash A/C Air Conditioner Add On Unit | eBay

Last edited:
My '65 Dart has factory air and it is a compact, well designed and made unit that provides heating & cooling for the defroster and fresh air as well as recirculated air (Max a/c). It's much more compact than after market units and will clear your console. They had to, as they were sold on '66 Darts and Barracudas. The hole in the firewall for the fan motor is larger than a non a/c car, so consider that as now might be the time to make that revision prior to paint. I've read in this forum that the wiring harness bulkhead connector opening is smaller in factory a/c cars, but I can't verify that as I don't have access to another early A for comparison.
I chose to replace the large, bulky and heavy piston compressor Chrysler used. It is power robbing and vibrates terribly. Converted to a Sanden style rotary compressor.
the bulkhead connector was turned 90 degrees and moved to utilize the cable operated gas pedal (found out the hard way on my conversion)

-
Back