63-66 a-body rear seat interchange?

-

not a charger

Reaction score
Will the lower seat frames from a coupe and/or sedan interchange with my wife's 64 Valiant convertible? Or is the rear seat a convertible-only item?

Also, are the seat frames interchangeable between Dodge and Plymouth? I figured they were, but I want to be sure.

It's a convertible only back seat. Dart and Valiant should interchange. If you have access to a '64-6 Barracuda lower section, you might want to compare it to your old one. They're similar in size/shape so maybe they can be modified to work?

I have a spare black 65 barracuda back seat in good condition I am not using if it will help

Will the lower seat frames from a coupe and/or sedan interchange with my wife's 64 Valiant convertible? Or is the rear seat a convertible-only item?

Also, are the seat frames interchangeable between Dodge and Plymouth? I figured they were, but I want to be sure.

I have a '64 Valiant Conv and the lower rear was trashed. The only thing that will fit on your car between the roof piston housings is a Dart or Valiant convertible rear seat. Maybe some other body family will work but I never found any to test. The conv seats are about 6 inches narrower on each side. I will attempt to attach photos of my fix.

I used the rear bottom from a hard top and cut it down to fit. It wasn't easy dealing with the spring steel but after searching around seemed to be the only way.

Attachments

• 100_2798.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_3144.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 227
I have a '64 Valiant Conv and the lower rear was trashed. The only thing that will fit on your car between the roof piston housings is a Dart or Valiant convertible rear seat. Maybe some other body family will work but I never found any to test. The conv seats are about 6 inches narrower on each side. I will attempt to attach photos of my fix.

I used the rear bottom from a hard top and cut it down to fit. It wasn't easy dealing with the spring steel but after searching around seemed to be the only way.

I sent the wrong image. Here is the after shot when the chop was complete.

Attachments

• 100_3344.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 209
Just to add what I've found out, the two door and four door seats are different too, they'll probably fit but they have a different 'curve' where it meets the side of the car, or the door on the 4 door. I suppose just because on the 4 door it's more curved to facilitate getting in and out of the door, and on the 2 door it butts up flatter against the side of the car.

I agree with LyonsRonnie. I believe the seat I cut was out of a 4 door. That's why it has the rounded front corners. I think either one will work as the donor for the cut down fit to the convertible. I used a MAP gas blow torch to bend the steel and made sure to to quench all heated spots with water to maintain the spring. Good luck.

Forgot to mention, I also made a quick wood form with sides and driveshaft hump to fit the seat into to make sure it didn't get too big. This kept me from having to fit to the car each time I made a change and mess up my interior.

-
Back