'63 Dart wagon rear door glass.

-

60jerry

Reaction score
"63 Dart 170 wagon. Wanting to replace glass run channels. I followed the service manual instructions for removing the rear door glass. The glass is free but can't get it out. The manual says to lift glass up and out of the door. The glass is tightly held by the run channel. Well, up and out sounds so easy but even after loosening both front and rear metal channels and moving them as far as I could, can't get the glass out of the channels. Also tried to rotate the glass but couldn't do that either. Anybody have some advice? There must be some trick here.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry in Denver

I don't know what to tell you exactly. I've never had a problem taking those out. I guess I need to mention the basics. You probably have already done these, but, bear with me. I assume you have the door panel off, the glass unfastened from the regulator, and the regulator out (or at least down in the bottom of the door). Slide the glass all the way down....even remove the bottom stop if it has one. Remove the cat whiskers. Unbolt the vent glass frame assembly. Work the glass out of the channels and slide it up and out (maybe have to rotate it) or pull the glass and vent assembly out of the door as an assembly if you have to. In changing just the channel fuzzies, I was always able to do that without removing the glass. Good Luck!

I don't know what to tell you exactly. I've never had a problem taking those out. I guess I need to mention the basics. You probably have already done these, but, bear with me. I assume you have the door panel off, the glass unfastened from the regulator, and the regulator out (or at least down in the bottom of the door). Slide the glass all the way down....even remove the bottom stop if it has one. Remove the cat whiskers. Unbolt the vent glass frame assembly. Work the glass out of the channels and slide it up and out (maybe have to rotate it) or pull the glass and vent assembly out of the door as an assembly if you have to. In changing just the channel fuzzies, I was always able to do that without removing the glass. Good Luck!
Hi cudamark,
Thanks for the response.
I'm actually working on a '63 Dart 4door wagon. Haven't started the front doors yet. Looking forward to that trip. The rear doors are my victims. I feel like an idiot since I've done several Chevy doors with no difficulty. I'm wondering about that fixed glass behind the rear door glass. Since it's fixed the rear channel won't move much at all. Front one moves very little as well.

The factory did the assembly, so seems that disassembly would be straight forward. I'm unable to rotate the glass for making the part more narrow. Won't come close. I did remove the window regulator for cleaning and lube. That didn't help. Guess I'll piddle with it for awhile and use all of my naughty words.
Jerry

Hi cudamark,
Thanks for the response.
I'm actually working on a '63 Dart 4door wagon. Haven't started the front doors yet. Looking forward to that trip. The rear doors are my victims. I feel like an idiot since I've done several Chevy doors with no difficulty. I'm wondering about that fixed glass behind the rear door glass. Since it's fixed the rear channel won't move much at all. Front one moves very little as well.

The factory did the assembly, so seems that disassembly would be straight forward. I'm unable to rotate the glass for making the part more narrow. Won't come close. I did remove the window regulator for cleaning and lube. That didn't help. Guess I'll piddle with it for awhile and use all of my naughty words.
Jerry
Yes, I was still referring to the rear doors. In the trade, we still call them vent glasses even though they're fixed and don't actually vent anything. That divider should unbolt and come out, either by itself, or, with its glass and/or door glass.

Yes, I was still referring to the rear doors. In the trade, we still call them vent glasses even though they're fixed and don't actually vent anything. That divider should unbolt and come out, either by itself, or, with its glass and/or door glass.
cuda
Now it makes sense. Looks like I have a little more digging around. Perfect weather.

Thank you very much for your friendly help.

Jerry

-
Back