63 dash removal

-

Dave Lucas

63 valiant signet convertable 200
Reaction score
Can the dash be removed without removing the windshield? What is the best way? I need to repair a rust hole.
0811211827.jpg
0811211814.jpg

Maybe somebody has that side to sell, please let me know.

Generally speaking the windshield needs to come out since the 5 or 6 fasteners are well under the gasket. You might be able to come in from underneath and cut most of the fasteners from underneath. I’d pull the windshield for easy of access to everything

Might want to check the cowl in that area also, water has to be coming in somewhere.

You can go under the dash with a die grinder and cut the bolts and U nuts off, defeat the fasteners but... There is a lot of stuff to remove, heater case, etc.., to get to them. Then you'll have to put replacement U nuts in upside down, fish them in under the gasket, and make sure the new bolts installed from bottom up dont reach the glass.

So it looks like the windshield out is a better choice. I think I'll have a glass company remove it, polish it while I fix the dash. Then they can reinstall it with a new seal.

I still think that I might want to find that side of the dash and just splice in a better section.

generally speaking early A dashes are pretty much the same shape in that area so yiu should be able to find one to harvest a section.

-
Back