63 Dodge Dart, now let me see;)

-

Dne007

Reaction score
Hi, I'm dne' from cypress, Tx;) I had been searching for a project and found this poor thing in a salvage yard in Waco, Tx. It was 1300bucks, I figure if it's too bad, I'll sell it, but that's not my intentions. I bought it as a project, something to give me a run for my money! lol IT has 64k miles on the speedo. I wasn't able to open the hood at the salvage yard, but when I got it home, a good thump on the hood and there you have it! I was surprised how well it looked. I have no plans to use the slant 6 nor push button trans~ I was thinking just a nice 360 with an automatic trans, and maybe a ford 9" rear, but those thoughts are way down the road.
I'm going to leave it at this for now, I need a shower really bad! ;)

63 dodge dart floor pansa.jpg

63 dodge being loaded.jpg

63 dodge dart at yard.jpg

63 dodge dart enginea.jpg

63 dodge dart rotisseriec.jpg

63 dodge dart rotisserie.jpg

63 dodge dart engine outb.jpg

63 dodge dart on maxc.jpg

I just finished the same car. Looks like you have a very solid platform to start with

done1.jpg

Dart as found.jpg

Nothing much has been going on, however, I've been searching for an engine/trans~ I don't need a hotrod, just a good running engine would be nice. This ad on facebook came up, I've been reading on engines, but haven't learned very much. The La360 in the ad~ is there anything I can do with it while it's out of the car, I haven't bought it.
But what engine (v8) and trans~ what should I be looking for?

Hi, I'm back again! Nearby, a fella has a running 318/A904 trans. He pulled it and I now have it here. It was a thousand bucks. I'll still have both overhauled.

73-mopar-engineb.png

73_mopar_enginea.jpg

I don't plan to use the push buttons, I'd like a floor shift/console
73_mopar_A904.jpg

Any ideas of which motor support I'd be able to use to go with my K-frame which was a 6cyl?
73-mopar-motor-support.jpg

I hope to be a little more active, especially with the temps coming down a tad;)
dne'

You need 64-66 A-body V8 engine brackets. You'll also want 64-66 A-body V8 steering link. Keep in mind there were a couple changes in the engine compartment starting in 64 to make the V8 fit. The firewall was different where the wiper motor mounts for distributor clearance, and there already a hole for the V8 throttle linkage. The hole in the radiator support was enlarged so a standard V8 22" radiator would fit. Since your donor engine has the later water pump, you either need a later radiator or earlier water pump. Later radiators are somewhat easier to find.

I was a little motivated today~ got to test fit the 318, looks like the distrubutor may work, it'll be close, but I'm waiting on the correct motor supports to see what that does. A radiator may prove to be a challenge;) Any ideas which exhaust manifolds might work better. The one on the drivers side probably won't work due to interference for the steering column.

318 enginef.jpg

318 enginee.jpg

318 engined.jpg

318 enginec.jpg

318 engineb.jpg

318 enginea.jpg

318 engine.jpg

I see you have the trans installed, is the trans mount bolted into the crossmember? if it is the distributor looks like it might clear the firewall.
Exhaust manifolds from a 5.2-5.9 magnum truck should work if you keep the manual steering but you might have to change the coupler from the steering box to the shaft.
I'm doing the same swap 5.9 into a 64 dart, I'm waiting on parts from Borgeson to make my steering column collapsible for safety concerns if in a front-end collision. I'm using the magnum truck manifolds, looks like they will work just close in some areas.

yes, the trans mount from the old transmission fit perfectly and yes, I hope the distributor continues to be ok, It'll be a few days until the motor supports are here. I'll check into the exhaust manifolds you mentioned;) Not sure what i'm doing for steering! I'm sad no one makes a rack n pinion for our cars:(

Forgot to ask, but what is a decent rear axle~ I'm a street driver, highway gal;) there's an 8" ford nearby, thought I may go and see what the width is

The transmission mount is a legit way to locate things. ALL torqueflites had the rear mount pad 22 inches back from the engine face. So if the rear mount is in place you'll have fore-aft location control. The left side manifold is a PITA on early A's, and the right side isn't much better.

I've heard the 8" will work if it's the correct width. Be careful some have pinion offset causing 1 axle to be a few inches shorter than the other also measure drum to drum if it's close. Mopar 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 are great just short supply and too much $, unless you find a deal.
You can start the project with the 7 1/4 for now but if you are hard on it, it will self-implode.

Looking good. I will be following. I have a 63 as well and was considering a V8 swap but was holding off due to firewall concerns. If this works out I may have to consider a winter upgrade. :)

While waiting for the engine supports, I thought might be a great time to remove the lower control arm bushings. There are numerous youtube videos to choose from, but I modified the process by lowering a heavy duty nut via a long bolt, then welded it into place. then pressed it out by my press. Welding a heavy 3/16 washer to the lip, the lip broke. So there you have it;) I'll have these sandblasted when taking many parts to my nearby blasting company. I guess I'll buy the strengthening plates when it comes time.
hm next?

mopar lower control armsc.jpg

mopar lower control armsb.jpg

mopar lower control armsa.jpg

mopar lower control arms.jpg

Always have plenty of parts to clean. You can find a lot of information on various repairs when updating these old gems found in the search forums in this forum.
Are you going to add disc brakes to the front?

Yes, disc brakes for sure! Just not sure what to get, haven't began shopping, I'm hoping a power booster will fit~ really like power brakes. Looks like there's room for a booster;)

1692388127939.jpeg

I'm no ways ready for brakes, but this would cover it all, just shopping;)

1692399483452.jpeg

Then CCP's parts, but I don't need upper control arms.

Last edited:
just putting this here for future reference;)

Power brakes are nice, under hood has just enough space with the correct booster and bracket, just not for me.
New kits are nice, no cleaning needed.

-
Back