63 Signet Drivers Mirror Replacement

-

Rich Signet

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up a replacement mirror and see that the controller doesn’t fit inside the door hole. Do I have to take the mirror apart or ream the hole? I’m hesitating on taking the mirror apart because I don’t think it will go back the same.

77D6785E-6A52-4C41-BC14-F618A042410C.jpeg

I don't believe they offered a remote adjustable mirror on the early A. You may want to check behind the door panel to make sure there's room for the cables before you start drilling!

Thanks. It has a remote mirror already, that’s broken. Trying to decide if I take the remote handle apart to feed the cables thru the hole, or open the hole so I can feed the remote cable and handle together.

What hole? There would be a large hole to feed that cable assy in. That door isn't set up for that. You probably had a twin post originally. I'm saying previous owner did it.

Yes, i have the gasket, the screws. The inside of the door has the hole to accept the remote. I’m hesitant to take the mirror remote apart, but that might be the best way.

The hole up front is for the mounting bolt. The small rear hole is for the rear mounting screw. I don't have any idea how the previous owner put a remote control mirror into that door, but there should be a larger hole between the other two to slip the cable into. If you have a gasket for the remote mirror, it will have the large hole in it which will tell you where to drill the door.

I agree with 66valiant528 (post 3) that a remote outside rearview mirror was not an option for 63 Valiants. However, one will fit once you drill the proper holes, in the proper places, and I have one on my 63 Valiant convertible. The driver's door is basically the same 63-66. One caveat: If you put the remote mirror where the non-remote mirror was, you won't get a full view out the mirror, as the vent wing rear post is in the way.

OK, one day I'm gonna learn to double check before posting relying solely on my memory. There is a large hole in the gasket between the two mounting holes, but the cables run through a smaller hole just ahead of the front mounting hole. See pic

20221030_120144.jpg

Thank you very much for the tips. I really appreciate the help. I’ll send some pics when I have it set.

I see, thanks. Then I’m going to have to disconnect the 3 lines from the remote, feed them, and reconnect when it’s mounted.

You may have the wrong mirror. The '66 and earlier mirror have a removeable control that is larger in diameter than the '67-up version (which has a crimped cable/control connection), Check the diameter of the control hole in the door before you go to the trouble of trying to make this mirror fit. If it's control is the correct diameter removeable type for your door, yes, you have to remove the cables from the control, feed everything through the door skin and then re-attach it. Trying to remove the '67-up control will usually result in a broken control or damaged cable.

You may have the wrong mirror. The '66 and earlier mirror have a removeable control that is larger in diameter than the '67-up version (which has a crimped cable/control connection), Check the diameter of the control hole in the door before you go to the trouble of trying to make this mirror fit. If it's control is the correct diameter removeable type for your door, yes, you have to remove the cables from the control, feed everything through the door skin and then re-attach it. Trying to remove the '67-up control will usually result in a broken control or damaged cable.

I never really noticed the difference between the early and late cable controls, but you're right. Here's a pic of the early vs late cable controls. Easy to see the difference. The early cables (bottom) can just pull out of the control, while the later control (top) is crimped around the cables.

20221101_150354.jpg

I wondering if the previous owner had the early mirror, removed the cables from the control, fed the cables through the mounting bolt hole, and just held the mirror on with the rear screw. ?? I think you just need to drill a hole big enough for the control of the late mirror you have. It will be under the mirror base, so it won't show. I have the later style mirror on both my 63 Valiant and on my 65 Barracuda, so it can be done.

65 Cuda and Cudamark, thank you very much for pointing that out. I have the new one, and was going to take it apart. I was hesitant because of the way the lines are pressed in. I will open the hole larger. Thanks again for the great advice.

I wanted to say thanks again for the tips on the mirror. It went in very easily. Have a great Thanksgiving.

B7BD864F-972F-4795-A02C-9A9546421829.jpeg

F108A5A6-1574-49C8-B479-55E865CAC360.jpeg

-
Back