63 valiant - need to raise rear

-

RookhavenJeff

Reaction score
okay, heres the setup:
15x7 rims 4" backspacing with 195/55 tires
1.25" wheel adapters to convert 5x4 to 5x4.25 (bringing the backspacing to 2.75")
stock leaf springs and shocks

with the new wheels, the tires are rubbing the innner fender lip.
not sure if rolling the lip will give me enough clearance.
i dont want to exchange the rims.
so, whats the easiest way to get approx. 2" lift on the rear?

air shocks? or superstock springs. who runs 5 x 4.25? do you mean 5 x 4.50. if you found an 8 1/4 that would solve all your problems. big bolt pattern to get rid of those adapters, plus its a little narrower than the stock 7 1/4.

I just dealt with the same problem...I bought new springs from ESPO, and they gave me a FABO discount. I'm very happy with the ride. Mine were made to raise the car 1" higher than stock height. When you take into consideration how much the springs sag in 45+ years it raises the back quite a bit. Cost around $300 including hardware. They have heavy-duty and 'regular' which is what I got. A cheaper option is to add a leaf from the junkyard.

I'm running 14x7 205/70's and they don't scrub inside the fender anymore.

People have differing opinions on air shocks. Most people seem to agree they are ok if you don't overdo the pressure. One concern I hear is that the shock supports are not meant to carry the weight of the car.

Hope this helps....

003.jpg

002.jpg

leaf springs is the right way to do it. If you need a tad more after that, you can put o longer rear shackles. Air shocks maybe to stiffen it so when you go over a bump it doesn't go down as much but, you really don't want to use them to lift it up and support the weight of the back end of the car.....

after getting the wheels on, i can get enough clearance with rolling the fender lip and still leaving the stock springs on.

air shocks? or superstock springs. who runs 5 x 4.25? do you mean 5 x 4.50. if you found an 8 1/4 that would solve all your problems. big bolt pattern to get rid of those adapters, plus its a little narrower than the stock 7 1/4.

You're right. They're 5x4.5.

SAFETY WARNING: Tires may be too close to the fender! :lol:

Sorry I was looking at the pics and my smart assness took over.

Don't do air shocks, you'll regret spending the money just to have to spend more money on springs and real shocks to do it the right way, I know I did.

Love the car by the way, Stealthy...didn't even notice the shaved door handles and markers at first glance...

I just dealt with the same problem...I bought new springs from ESPO, and they gave me a FABO discount. I'm very happy with the ride. Mine were made to raise the car 1" higher than stock height. When you take into consideration how much the springs sag in 45+ years it raises the back quite a bit. Cost around $300 including hardware. They have heavy-duty and 'regular' which is what I got. A cheaper option is to add a leaf from the junkyard.

I'm running 14x7 205/70's and they don't scrub inside the fender anymore.

People have differing opinions on air shocks. Most people seem to agree they are ok if you don't overdo the pressure. One concern I hear is that the shock supports are not meant to carry the weight of the car.

Hope this helps....

I want to know more about these ESPO springs. Do they come in 6 leaf like the formula s cars had?

Yes, if I remember right, you can specify 6 leafs. Their customer service is good, just took one phone call and I had everything at my door in a few days. Don't forget to ask for a FABO discount after they quote you a price.

-
Back