63 Valiant Wiring Harness

-

zhehol

63 Valiant Signet Conv
Reaction score
I just bought a 63 signet convertible. I pulled the instrament cluster out and found the wiring harness fried. The main red and black wires to the ammeter are melted and have exposed wires, which was surprising because the car starts and runs like a dream. I have two questions: 1) what would cause this? It looks like the car has a new alternator, I was thinking that could be the issue. 2) where can I get a replacemnet or reproduction under dash wiring harness? There is no way to repair the damage to the existing harness, the wires are melted throughout. I'm surprised the car never caught on fire. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I just bought a 63 signet convertible. I pulled the instrament cluster out and found the wiring harness fried. The main red and black wires to the ammeter are melted and have exposed wires, which was surprising because the car starts and runs like a dream. I have two questions: 1) what would cause this? It looks like the car has a new alternator, I was thinking that could be the issue. 2) where can I get a replacemnet or reproduction under dash wiring harness? There is no way to repair the damage to the existing harness, the wires are melted throughout. I'm surprised the car never caught on fire. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I had the same thing happen to me withb a 69 Valiant. I had to cut and splice each wire individually, and then tape back into the harness.

It is possible.

Yes, when I got my '63 Signet 'vert it too had the under dash wires fried badly - melted into each other. I too wondered how it hadn't caught fire. I wouldn't have know except that I stuck my noggin up there because there were no lights - GEEEES! - I freaked out.
Like the previous poster, i replaced them all one at a time and soldered in wires from an Aussie Valiant harness. Not all colours were correct but most were the same.

It took a loooong time and isn't a fun job.

I would try to buy a good harness if poss and replace it, holus bolus. The only drawback is that wiring is VERY old so the donor harness would need to be in good condition.
Good luck and let's know how you go.

If you can, replace the entire wire, not just a section. Remove the cable from the connector housing at each end and replace with a better newer run a size larger with new crimped connectors to install back into the original housings.

I replaced the complete harness from American Autowire with modifications such as using GM Weatherpack connections. It will work and should never give any issues. HOWEVER when I will do my 65 Coronet I will just rebuild each section at a time. Packard 56 connectors are easy to find and I have quite a few of them already. I will use headlight relays like I did in the 66 Barracuda and also change everything over to a voltmeter unstead of the Amp gauge.

-
Back