63 valiant

-

ducter

Reaction score
So I went with my sister today to look at a 63 valiant with a 225 with 3 on the tree, car started and let it idle while looking it over then we went for a test drive.

After it warmed up, approaching a stop sign put it in neutral to coast and she died. Couldn't get her going right away, ended up pulling the plugs and saw some fire, perhaps a bit weak it was just to bright to really tell. Pulled the distributor cap and cleaned the points, still no go, poured a little gas down the carb and still no go. The owner said it happens sometimes, after it sitting for a while it started back up, drove it back to his house.

Shut it off, same issue. This time he sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it started back up.

I think it's related to timing but for those familiar with these motors, looking for some input. Cars in overall great shape but advised her not to purchase till we get an idea on the stalling/no start issue.

Thanks

could be many things-- but if the engine was at operating temp-- these slants are known to percolate the fuel out of the carb & cause hot start issues---

search fuel line mod-- big topic.

if the car is clean (rust wise) & you like the vehicle-- I don't think that issue is a huge one.

if that is all that is holding you back then go make a deal
Lawrence

Alright, will do some reading on the fuel line mod. Thanks for the heads up.

I would check the compression. Best to use a screw-in gage, but in a pinch you can turn over the engine by hand and feel for each cylinder. If you hear each one slowly hissing down (>3 sec), the engine is sound. If so, I wouldn't worry too much since you can fix the poor running problem. Sounds like the carburetor. I wouldn't even fool with the points and go straight to electronic ignition.

In this case, the engine dying would be a benefit since most others would walk away from the car, so you can negotiate a good price. Don't feel guilty. If the seller was motivated they would fix it before trying to sell it. By not doing so, they are admitting "whatever I can get is fine".

Mopar electronic ignition kit will get you past the points hassles and give you many miles of no ignition problems. This, or something similar will get you there. Knock off $300.00 from the price to cover parts, shipping and installation. Good luck!

BC

The owner contacted me yesterday, said he replaced the points and all seems well. I will go check it out again, where it's for my sister who is not very mechanical I want to convert it to electronic ignition anyways.

Anyone that has done this happen to know the parts needed? I imagine distributer, cap, coil, ICM and wire harness? Assuming that's correct, any part numbers to look for?

Thanks

Whoops, forgot the link!
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Mopar-Slant-6-Electronic-Distributor-Kit-Fits-170-198-225-Slant-Six/261390219235?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D4627013766452981251%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D221367022695"]Dodge Mopar Slant 6 Electronic Distributor Kit Fits 170 198 225 Slant Six | eBay[/ame]

BC

Ordered it, well another as that one had ended. She obviously purchased the car. I didn't get to look at it again, he called her and said he replaced the points and it's running great now, drove it to her house where she purchased it.... Wanna guess what shut off when I was driving? Yeah.

Will have to figure out what's going on with it for sure now!

Sorry, but I just wanna giggle..... I'm guessing the points slipped. I'm not really dissin' points setups, they worked reasonably well for lots of folks for many years. Then something better came along. My first several cars and motorcycles had 'em, but why would any thinking person choose outdated unreliable technology in the 21st century? Good luck to ya!

BC

I wonder if the previous owner knew about putting cam lube on the dist. cam. Could be he didn't and when the car was running it wore out the point rubbing block, killing the new points. I mention this because when I went looking for a tube of cam lube last month, the kid at one of the part stores told me I didn't need it. Obviously he was too young to know how to install points in anything.

Paul

Not sure honestly, but I am not going to bother replacing them where she ordered the electronic conversion. I did notice that the manifold directly under the carb has gas leaking onto it. Don't recall seeing that the first time I looked at the car, in fact I know it wasn't wet because I looked. Lines are tight so thinking it's percolating out the carb.

-
Back