64-65 - vs 66 barracuda trunk lid

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference from the 64/65 vs the 66 barracuda trunk lid?

I am inquiring on prices for a good rear lid and they need to know.
With out one side by side I am clueless.
Thank you,
Joe

Only thing that I can think of is the difference in the prop rod.

The drivers side of the late 65/66 trunk lid has an embossed area where the trunk lid prop rod hook mounts! It is flat with a hole drilled for the hook, and 2 other holes on either side of the hook for the retainer bracket screws!

The 64/early 65 trunk rod is a ratcheting rod mounted to a bracket that is welded to the passenger side of the lid!

Yes, they are different, and more difficult to use an earlier lid for the later prop rod than the other way around! Otherwise, they'll fit all years! Geof

Good luck finding one that hasn't been tweaked from people trying to slam it instead of lifting then dropping.

Well,

I found a decent trunk lid at Wildcat in Oregon. They are shipping it to me and hopefully it is in fact the 66' version I need. Mind is totally rotted out underneath so a solid unit is good. As for the lid prop, I want to go with a hydraulic cylinder conversion I saw on Ebay a few years back... just cant find it anymore. I will have to build my own. The dang spring loaded unit does not work well. I know stretching the spring will help but I want automatic.

Just for the record the lid was $400 and $260 to ship to Connecticut. So I am hoping they were right when they described it to me. Honestly the cost of rebuilding mine would had been more so this is the best route. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Thank you,

I moved recently and lost my file of the information I had with little trinkets like this. That was awesome! Thank you!
As a business owner I have multiple projects going on at all times and the Barracuda is one I work like crazy on for a week or so and then drop it for a month or more as it is not a revenue generating work item. I forget where I leave everything sometimes as it get lost in the pile of paper work on my desk. As soon as I copy the information down I will find the original place where it was kept. I typically order it at that point just so I can cross it off my check list.
Thank you again.
Joe

I just reached out to him and lets see if he answers. Also my last post was looking for pictures of how the factory rod looks in the car and I never did get my answer.
Joe

Wow, that is a lot of money for a trunk lid. :mumum:

Well,

I found a decent trunk lid at Wildcat in Oregon. They are shipping it to me and hopefully it is in fact the 66' version I need. Mind is totally rotted out underneath so a solid unit is good. As for the lid prop, I want to go with a hydraulic cylinder conversion I saw on Ebay a few years back... just cant find it anymore. I will have to build my own. The dang spring loaded unit does not work well. I know stretching the spring will help but I want automatic.

Just for the record the lid was $400 and $260 to ship to Connecticut. So I am hoping they were right when they described it to me. Honestly the cost of rebuilding mine would had been more so this is the best route. Thanks for the help.

Joe

-
Back