64 Barracuda push button trans

-

dukes69

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So my son bought a 64 Barracuda with a small block and push button trans, the problem is that the previous owner put a 4 barrel intake and carb and did not hook the linkage back up, so we have multiple pieces of linkage laying in a box. Also it has power brakes and they are probably hooked up wrong to the intake/carb. I need pictures or diagram of the linkage and power brake hookup to send him so he can work on it since i am currently deployed i Afghanistan.
Randy

Hi Randy, Thanks for being overseas. I wish I could help you. For some reason my smart phone takes awesome pictures, but will not allow me to post them or send them. It says posting and after 5 minutes it says sending or posting failed. I'm sure some one will jump on and help you soon. Thanks again. Stay safe and come home soon.

Picture shows plate at back of head and throttle rods, car is 66 and not push button. Some one else will have to post for transmission rods.

Attachments

• 03-2012 engine bay after cleaning2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 254
Thanks, I have that plate on the car and several different rods

I will try to send one tonight, but it will be late.

Picture at trans from top view, floor not there. NOT push button.

Attachments

• 09-04-2012-2 cleaned shift linkage and clearanced exhaust.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 231
I will forward to my son so he can get underneath and look at what is not hooked up. I know that the "kickdown" linkage needs to modified for the 4 barrel since it was set up for a 2 barrel and it had a ball that the linkage popped onto

If memory serves correct then some welding on the carb kickdown rod is all that is needed. It must be adjustable to get set right for down shifts.

Attachments

• 2013-8-13-1 carb linkage with tape.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 2013-8-13-2 carb linkage.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 257
What carb are you running? Can you get pictures from the swivel at the back to underneath to the trans? Are you running power brakes?

The carb is Carter AFB, but I would get, if getting new, would be Street Demon with Poly bowl. Because the carb is designed for the blended gas that is used today. Poly for heat soak issues, like the Thermoquad design. Had power brakes, but going back to manual due to space. Early a's do not require power like a bigger car will.

Attachments

• 2013-8-13-3 trans from bottom.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 2013-8-13-4 under master.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 253
Thanks I sent my son the link to this page so he can check the pictures

There were many variations in the kickdown linkages between models, years and engines. Here are some more possibilities. Other option is to convert it to a cable kickdown from Bouchillon or Lokar. Hope that helps. I love my pushbuttons!

BC

Attachments

• Kickdow Drawings.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 202
We got the kickdown covered, does anyone have the pictures for the pushbutton shifter and linkage? I do not.

We got the kickdown covered, does anyone have the pictures for the pushbutton shifter and linkage? I do not.

Pushbutton shifter linkage was a "wheel type push button cable"... And a "park lock cable"... What do you need... adjusting specs??

I was working on 66 Barracuda, the OP has 64 with push button. Was just trying to help him out as best that I can. Thanks for your posts. My guess is to post what is different to push button trans if everything is in a box. (best guess) Loved your interior posts in other thread. I hope sister-in-laws turns out even close to yours.

See if these help. (From my '64 Dodge FSM - Plymouth should be same)

BC

P.S. removing the shift cable is LOTS easier if ya drop the pan, so ya can see it! I got really frustrated trying the manual instructions!

Attachments

• Pushbutton adjustmentsBIG.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 218
  • pushbutton shift cable.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 228
  • T-flight Cables02 (Large).jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 221
  • T-flight Cables03 (Large).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 185
  • T-flite Cables01 (Large).jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Dart Pushbuttons.jpg